HEC-RAS and ArcGIS 10 dilemma

03-04-2011 04:38 AM
Labels (1)
GregGrabner
New Contributor
Hello all,

Since the Core doesn???t appear to be in the market for updating HEC-RAS and HEC-GEORAS anytime in the near or distance future, what are people using as a different option for HEC-RAS?  I???m surprised that their hasn???t been a solution developed yet.  Any insight to this would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Greg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Greg,

True that the HEC is not developing for ArcGIS Desktop 10 for the Corps, but that doesn't mean that you can not continue to use ArcGIS for your preprocessing of input to or performing analysis of HEC-RAS or HEC-HMS output. You just have more of the work flow to accomplish on your own, or join the market to pay an integrator to do it for you.

If you are looking for a turnkey replacement to analysis and modeling  provided by the combined HEC-RAS, GeoRAS extension and ArcGIS Desktop, there are several.  Aquaveo's SMS and WMS products are popular here. Current releases do integrate with HEC-RAS and ArcGIS Desktop 10.

Stuart
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
We are planning on keeping a 9.3 version on a separate machine so we can use GeoRAS as needed.

I believe we will continue to use HEC-RAS. It runs independently from GeoRAS. Since HEC-RAS is at the core of the Corps' Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC) work, they will likely continue to developed it.

Also, there is a new RAS Mapper feature in the latest version of HEC-RAS that might aid in presenting results using a "flt" DEM.  I have not used it myself, but a tech in our office has looked at RAS Mapper and it seems to work; though I don't know how well or how the results can be transferred back into ArcMap for display purposes. (Is HEC moving to make its own GeoRAS type tools independent of ESRI?)

I have no insider information. However, I suspect the costs associated with ERSI's continual changing of ArcMap, (not just upgrading, in my humble opinion), and the economy, etc., the Corps can't afford to keep throwing money at ESRI to upgrade GeoRAS and GeoHMS. ArcHydro is ERSI's baby and so ESRI will likely keep that updated.

If I may vent... If I were in the private practice, I think the licensing costs for ESRI products and the cost of training and retraining users would be killing me! Though I like some of the new features in v10, having to re-learn the editing tools, how features work, etc. (the frustrations of losing Map Book for something that lacks some of Map Books features for example) are tough on my budgets and schedules. In other words, forget finding a replacement for HEC-RAS and GeoRAS (free software by the way), is there  a competitive alternative to ESRI products? --- There. I'm done.
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
Just a note

HEC has posted on their site that they are working on an updated version of GeoRAS as well as HMS for ArcGIS 10 and should be available this summer.

Regards
0 Kudos