HECGeoRAS Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

06-14-2013 01:45 PM
DavidFrench3
New Contributor
Hi all,
I am attempting to delineate floodplains (I have already done layer set-up, import RAS, create water surfaces, etc.) and each time I try to use this function, I receive the error:
HECGeoRAS Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

I have restarted the process with a fresh .mxd and new grids, etc. but receive the same error each time.
Anyone run into the same issue?  Have you found a solution or workaround?
Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
JenniferMcGee
New Contributor
I ran across this error for the first time today and wanted to post what ended up working for me.

Based on other posts I assumed that the file path length was my problem.  I typically just remap my project folder to a new drive letter and that solves the issue for most GIS tools.  It did not help here.  I finally moved my Geo-RAS project folder to my root C drive and then the floodplain delineation worked as it should. 

Hope this solution works for others as well.
0 Kudos
ZenaidaMorales
New Contributor II
Hey fellows, i have a similar situation ,but working at HEC-HMS ,when we try to create the basin Model ,the program shows a error Message HRESULT E_FAIL has returned from a Call ... Please, give us a recomendation about this issue,

I have the same problem by creating the basin model and the background shape working with HEC-geoHMS. Could you figure out what the problem was? I appreciate all your responses and help you can provide!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Sometime back I looked deep in to the bowels of the error log and found that some of the files paths were cut off.  It is like reading the Matrix monitor sometimes . You'll understand if you've seen the movie http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/screensaver2013.

I found my original post on this here (part of the problem solver thread linked under my signature):
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48100-ArcHydro-Problem-Solvers?p=166587&viewfull=1#post166587

This was not a matter of spaces in the folder or file names, it was a matter of the name being truncated due to length. (I just rechecked the post. It does not appear that the log file itself has a limit in characters. ESRI would know for sure.)

For example, something like this:
P:\GIS USERS - Development\FC\Hydrology\Projects\DA 108\Round_Valley
Would be truncated to this:
P:\GIS USERS - Development\FC\Hydrology\Proje  (I don't recall if there was a specific limit on the number of characters.)
I moved my work to another directory, closer to the root like this:
P:\ArcHydro\DA 108\Round_Valley

After the change, the problem went away; even when operating over the network. Still, working over the network tends to produce errors.
DiegoFernando_López_Cuenca
New Contributor

Mark, thank you very much. It also worked for me.

En español, Cambien la ubicación a una carpeta directa desde el Disco Local C://

Ejemplo: C://GIS/Rio

Una ruta corta.

Diego F

ZenaidaMorales
New Contributor II
First of all, thank you very much Mark for your quick response!

I'm going to try moving the project to another directory and doing a fresh start. I'll let to know what happened next.

Thanks!
ZenaidaMorales
New Contributor II
Mark, the solution you gave me worked smoothly.
I moved the project from a quite large path to C:\HMS\River and started again from scratch with the Terrain Preprocessing.
Thank you very much for your help!
0 Kudos
HectorMayorga
New Contributor

Hola Zenaida que tal? estuve leyendo los comentarias acerca de este error, pero yo lo tengo en HEC HMS, donde me manda el siguiente mensaje cuando quiero exportar mi modelo de cuenca:

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component
Basin file location=C:\Users......

hay alguna solución para esto? que me recomiendas por favor hacer?

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
You're welcome!
0 Kudos