Watershed Delineation

Jump to solution
03-24-2023 10:04 AM
Labels (2)
AliMcLeod
New Contributor II

AliMcLeod_1-1679677354556.png

Still running into issues with trying to delineate. 

Tried to use GIS basic 10.7 thinking if I went with a simpler model I could a least calculate polygons, and then move them into Pro. I am just lost for a solution here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AliMcLeod
New Contributor II

SOLUTION:

After working with @ChristineDartiguenave on this, we discovered that my Pro was outdated and needed to be upgraded to 3.0 in order to use the proper archydro tools (with an additional upgrade to archydro). 

Additionally, Utilizing the Stormwater Utility Network (downloadable via esri) was able to provide the process/details I needed to complete my delineations. There are "stormwater processing" and "stormwater delineation" tools available in archydro that you need to have S.U.N. in order to process. 

I hope this helps others that may be struggling to get proper data! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

I’ve not used Pro yet.

I see “tool is not valid” in the error messages. Do you have all of the required Python modules installed?  I assume ArcPy is a standard instal with ESRI products, but are there others? I’ve never had to worry about that as my Programmer Analyst sets up the installations for me.

0 Kudos
АртурМухаметзянов
New Contributor II
Hello Mark. I'm having trouble with the "Fill" tool in ArcGIS, and as I found out I have a really big DEM file. I was looking for ways to solve the problem for a long time, until I came across your answers on a ten-year-old forum. There, you recommended that the person process the DEM locally, from a computer, and not online. I have a question how to transfer all project data to a computer. Judging by the project folder, only 4 of the 24 gigabytes are stored on my computer, like.
0 Kudos
АртурМухаметзянов
New Contributor II

Hello Mark. I'm having trouble with the "Fill" tool in ArcGIS, and as I found out I have a really big DEM file. I was looking for ways to solve the problem for a long time, until I came across your answers on a ten-year-old forum. There, you recommended that the person process the DEM locally, from a computer, and not online. I have a question how to transfer all project data to a computer. Judging by the project folder, only 4 of the 24 gigabytes are stored on my computer, like.

The DEM file covers an area of ​​140,000 square kilometers. Another one at 9700.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

That is a lot of data. Sorry, I don’t know how to get around the memory issue you are facing other than breaking the DEM up into smaller pieces. Then you would have to deal with multiple runs and putting the partial results back together.

10 years! Wow. I don’t get to wrestle with Arc Hydro like I did back then. We are still waiting to get ArcPro. 

0 Kudos
AliMcLeod
New Contributor II

My in-house IT has installed everything available both on Pro and ArcMap 10.7 (and 10.8) -- we can get all data to run up to the adjoint catchment--- after that, it stops functioning properly. 

Point delineation and watershed delineation methods both do not work. 

He is going to contact ArcGIS help desk, but our company license holder is on vacation, so it will have to wait until he returns. I was hoping there was a workaround- because *of course* we have an end of month deadline for this project and need this delineation information for said deadline. 

I am nearing the point of using stream-stats and going through and individually geo-locating my culverts to get the data one by one but would REALLY like to avoid that due to the potentially large amount of error involved. 

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

Seems if you can get to adjoint catchment you’ve gotten past the full sinks step. Have you?

0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor

Are you running the  tool in background?

Christine

0 Kudos
AliMcLeod
New Contributor II

SOLUTION:

After working with @ChristineDartiguenave on this, we discovered that my Pro was outdated and needed to be upgraded to 3.0 in order to use the proper archydro tools (with an additional upgrade to archydro). 

Additionally, Utilizing the Stormwater Utility Network (downloadable via esri) was able to provide the process/details I needed to complete my delineations. There are "stormwater processing" and "stormwater delineation" tools available in archydro that you need to have S.U.N. in order to process. 

I hope this helps others that may be struggling to get proper data! 

0 Kudos