Any issues with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3?

12-11-2014 11:10 AM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am looking into installing the latest version 10.3 of ArcGIS for Desktop. Will the Water Utility Network tools still work along with the Attribute System tools?

Thank you

8 Replies
MarielaDel_Rio
New Contributor III

I had a couple of ArcGIS Server 10.2 installs and put 10.3 on it, but it did not work. Initially it appeared to work, but none of the map services would start. An error indicated that it could not publish, I then realized that the publisher tool was not running, but when I tried to start it in manager, it was simply not there.

I have since tried clean installs of 10.3 in 3 different servers and none have been successful.

I tried re-installing 10.2 in those same servers and they install without problem, with all map services and utilities working.

Reinstalling 10.3 on top of those 10.2 installs do not work either.

ESRI was trying to troubleshoot my issue, but so far, nothing that we have tried has worked.

Maybe it will be different for you. Keep us posted. Good luck.

MarielaDel_Rio
New Contributor III

The issues I experienced had to do with clean installs of AGS as well as upgrades. None of the installations were able to create the site. After a lot of tech support phone calls, and hours of different installs with other settings (i.e. arcgis account as local admin, reconfiguring the site, etc.) and what not, we tried using my own domain user (which is a local admin to the servers) to install the software.

Since my domain user worked, and since the ArcGIS user was an admin, we determined there was something going on with the domain users and perhaps policy rules.

The workaround to solve the problem was:

- give the ArcGIS user rights to the C and D drive (I use d drive for directories and config-store)

- login as the ArcGIS user (previously created as a local admin)

- ensure arcgis user could connect to the internet as sometimes it prompted me for a user and password to open an internet site (I am sure some policy or another)

- added the esri sites

- run the install as admin

I am sure a couple of these steps might have been overkill (i.e. full access to C and D drives), but just in case. This worked and I plan on continuing this path. Please, keep in mind that 10.2.2 did not need any additional steps, it installed without additional tweaking and without the ArcGIS user being a local admin.

Another solution could be to create an ArcGIS domain user with local admin rights. I chose not to go that route because we (GIS personnel) have more control over local users than domain users.

RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III

We just installed 10.3 and had the same issues with the services. Luckily for us, we were able to recreate all of those services without any issues. Upgrading from 10.2.2 to 10.3 didn't work as planned. The clean install worked, minus the services issue.

All of the water utility tools still work the same for us. Haven't run into any problems yet.

All in all, it took more time trying to figure out why the services were not working, than it did to recreate the 15 or so that we have.

KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II

I have 10.3 DESKTOP (like the title of this topic says) installed and I'm having a lot of issues.

Things I've noticed so far (off the top of my head):

1. Editing Issues
    • Copy and Pasting of features requires you to clear the selected features (the ones that have been copied) before you are able to paste them.
    • Certain data paths will randomly say I can't edit them. If I close desktop and reopen the map, they'll work again.
  2. My custom Default Locators have disappeared in my maps. These appeared in my maps after installation, but today they are gone in every map, even after restarting.
  3. It won't identify my tax parcels. I have no idea why. An error symbol appears at the bottom of the identify window. I've never seen this before.

Running on a 64-bit machine with WIN7. And don't get me started about ArcGIS Pro...haha.

JaimeGiesen
New Contributor III

Do you still have to clear the feature before pasting?  We are also experiencing this problem along with simply not being able to paste at all sometimes.  Can't seem to find a pattern.  Thanks

KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II

Yes, even on 10.3.1. However, it seems every once in a while the copy/paste of features will work without having to clear the features beforehand. This is pretty sporadic and I don't have an explanation as to why it does/doesn't happen.

#3 on my list is related to NIM099678 - The Identify tool fails to identify SDEBINARY feat..​, but has been logged as a new bug. "BUG-000088625: The Identify tool fails to identify SDEBINARY features if the joined table contains a nvarchar(max) field."

Workaround:

1. Create a new nvarchar(1500) field, and use Field Calculator to populate the new field based on the original field.

2. Delete the original nvarchar(max) type field.

RowenaRutherford
New Contributor II

This is a very good question.

KarenCedeno-Perdue
New Contributor

I recently upgraded to ArcMap 10.3.1 Desktop Advanced.  For the most part everything works as it did before.  I did notice the copy and paste issue, which is kind of annoying, but not critical.

I have had  several "Serious Fatal Error" Crashes. 

The first involved working with labeling roads on annotation group with road classes.  My task was to label every single road we have in our system for an exhibit we produce.  I adjusted the attributes of the annotation class in some cases to get that label in, plus labeling using curved text.  This happened 5 or 6 times performing the same task.

The second involved annotating a TIF image in layout view.  Occasionally we have a small project that needs design work we do in house and I have to fudge a profile view or a detail needed to submit to our governing bodies for approval.  So I was really doing something GIS is not designed to do.  I am taking a close look at the new profile aps in my spare time.

As far as my workflow goes, neither fatal error affects the daily workflow critically.

0 Kudos