Generate unique ids with Attribute Assistant in Arcmap 10.6

03-29-2021 12:05 PM
Labels (2)
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to generate unique ids with the Attribute Assistant in ArcMap 10.6 for several features in our water and waste water system. I was able to successfully do this with features that did not contain any subtypes; not so much with features that did have Subtypes. I have not been receiving any error messages but I also am not seeing anything appear in the AssetID field.  For the example below I am trying to generate unique id for the feature wControlValve

GenerateID table

AriLukas_0-1617044297137.png

Sequence Name: wControlValveID

Sequence Counter: 95

Interval Value: 1

Dynamic Value Table

AriLukas_1-1617044407007.png

Table name: wControlValve|*

Field Name: Asset_ID

Value Method: GENERATE_ID 

ValueInfo: wContralValveID|{1}|[SEQ]|True

On Create: True

any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I've never used that add-in unfortunately, but perhaps can replicate the output in field calculator?

What do you want the unique ID to be formed of/look like?

0 Kudos
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

For the moment they just need to be super basic. Start at 1 and go up from there. The type of field i am trying to add numbers to is a long integer. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

This should do the job - How To: Create sequential numbers in a field using Python in the Field Calculator (esri.com)

Go to the attribute table of your feature class/shapefile, right-click on the field header and go to Field Calculator.  The link details the rest.

0 Kudos
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

I saw that earlier, which would work for the initial work flow but i wanted a way to have the id automatically added when a new asset is created. 

Sorry should have been more specific. 

0 Kudos
DavidCain
New Contributor II

I created an "ASSETNUM" and populated it with an sequential number. Then I created the "GISOBJID" by combining the "ASSETNUM" and TEXT from the Attribute Assistant table. See Pic.

0 Kudos