If you’re using the Attribute Assistant, we need your help!

02-23-2016 07:37 AM
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We’re doing some research into how the Attribute Assistant is being used. We’d like to see what rules you are using and how you configured your dynamic value table. 

This information will help us plan for the future. We want to know what are the most common rules.  We also want to see your gnarly and complicated rules to see how far the Attribute Assistant is being pushed.

So please share your dynamic value table along with any comments you have in this thread. We appreciate your help on this effort!

Thanks,

Mike

ArcGIS Solutions

PS: If you don’t know what the Attribute Assistant is (or aren’t sure if you are using it already) no worries.  You can learn more about Attribute Assistant on the ArcGIS Solution site here

Tags (1)
239 Replies
MikeMillerGIS

I would enable the debug log and post the results. That will help us see what is going on.

0 Kudos
ChristyWest
New Contributor

Thanks Michael Miller. The Log file is below. The first one is the one that worked when I drew the polygon over the addresspoint. The second one is the one that is breaks when I draw a polygon not intersecting with an addresspoint.

------------------------------------------------
TableName: ImperviousArea
FieldName: ADDRESSPOINT
ValueInfo: ActiveAddressPoints|ID
ValueMethod: NEAREST_FEATURE
On Create: 1
On Change: 0

Checking for Subtype Restriction
Field Name: ADDRESSPOINT was found at index: 3
Trying: NEAREST_FEATURE
Searching the feature class
Feature Classes are different
No matching fields specified
Feature found: GIS_Data.A1.ActiveAddressPoints:64539475
Finished: NEAREST_FEATURE

TableName: ImperviousArea
FieldName: ADDRESSPOINT
ValueInfo: ActiveAddressPoints|ID
ValueMethod: NEAREST_FEATURE

Field Name: ADDRESSPOINT was found at index: 3
Trying: NEAREST_FEATURE
Searching the feature class
Finished: NEAREST_FEATURE

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Try adding a search distance as the third parameter

Such as ActiveAddressPoints|ID|500

Neighborhood

Value

Maximum distance to search for nearest feature.

0 Kudos
ChristyWest
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply! I actually had already tried that but tried it again just to be sure but there are still no results and the AA log did not change at all from what I posted above.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

If you could build a very small repo case and send it to me, happy to look into it further

0 Kudos
GavinMcDade
New Contributor III

I’m having some issues with the CURRENT_USER method in our SDE environment… My DynamicValue table is stored in SDE, owned by our LGIM schema, and in turn is loaded into my edit MXD using the LGIM user credentials (in order to make it editable as I tweak things iteratively, etc.). The data I'm testing against is a RoadCenterline feature class which is also stored in SDE, owned by our TRANSPORTATION schema, and subsequently loaded into my edit MXD under my user credentials, hitting an edit version. 

I configured the DynamicValue table to populate a Creator field in RoadCenterline using the CURRENT_USER method, w/ On Create = True, and using the 'D' parameter in the Value Info to pull the username from the current database user. However, when a new segment/feature is added, my results have been varied (but never correct😞 the Creator field is either left null, or is populated with 'LGIM'. I'm not sure how either value is possible, given that the connected user editing the dataset in question is never the LGIM user... 

If I specify the 'W' option for ValueInfo field, I do get the correct Windows User, but that defeats my purpose. 

Has anyone run into similar difficulties with this? 

#CURRENT_USER

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Gavin,

Can you turn on the logging and see if the AADebug provide any intel

0 Kudos
GavinMcDade
New Contributor III

The section of the log file pertaining to this method returns the following: 

Row Info
Row Number 3
TableName: RoadCenterline
FieldName: Creator
ValueInfo: D
ValueMethod: CURRENT_USER

Field Name: Creator was found at index: 47
Trying: CURRENT_USER
Username:
Finished: CURRENT_USER

You can see the Username is blank. When I switch the parameter to 'W' instead of 'D', the value is captured here, as well. 

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Gavin,

I looked at the function, my only guess is the editor workspace is getting nulled out. The variable is repopulated on start editing. Could you start a fresh arcmap, start editing and see if it works, then stop and start editing and does it fail then?

IDatabaseConnectionInfo databaseConnectionInfo = editor.EditWorkspace as IDatabaseConnectionInfo;

if (databaseConnectionInfo != null)

return databaseConnectionInfo.ConnectedUser;

else

return String.Empty;

0 Kudos
GavinMcDade
New Contributor III

Thanks, Michael. I created a new MXD and loaded my layers back into it. I had already, in a separate MXD that I created just for editing the AA tables, made sure to reset my parameter back to 'D'. I also made sure that I had no other ArcMap sessions open concurrently. When I created a new road feature in my new MXD, it correctly populated the Creator field, as expected. I suppose the other MXD had some crossed wires in it... which is odd, as I really didn't have that many other layers or tables loaded into it; it was pretty sparse to begin with. I guess I'll just move forward and keep my eye on its behavior during our testing. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos