Question about "Add Sewer Laterals" tool

05-14-2010 11:51 AM
MichaelRivera
Occasional Contributor II
I've been using the "WaterUtilitiesEditingMap.mxd" and the "Water Utilities Editing" toolbar.  I have a question regarding the "Add Sewer Laterals" tool.  When I create a new ssService Connection then click on the "Add Service Laterals" tool, why does it create a line perpendicular to the main but just before it gets the main, the lateral has a 45 degree bend in it to connect to the lateral?

I tried this in several places in the city and each time resulted in the same type of lateral appearance.  I also noticed that the "Add Service Lateral" button is of a graphic that also looks like it bends before it gets to the main.  I panned around the map and didn't see any laterals that were currently in the project having that bend in them.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
You can remove the dog leg by modifying the config file.  You will find this in the install folder.  Look for the ArcGIS Template Folder in Program files.  In the editTools.config, find the line below   
<add key="AddSewerLaterals_Hook_DoglegDistance" value="5" />
Change it to this
<add key="AddSewerLaterals_Hook_DoglegDistance" value="0" />
0 Kudos
MichaelRivera
In that line, in the config file, it already said value="0".
I tried just removing that line and saving, it still adds that dogleg.

Also, I just experienced odd behaviour adding a sewer lateral. I attached a jpg. The lateral went beyond the main.
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
Looks like it is snapping to another main, do you have water mains in the same mxd?

Can you send you config file to mmiller@esri.com
0 Kudos
MichaelRivera
Where is the config file stored on my computer? I only know how to access it by going to Start - All Programs - ArcGIS Templates - Water Utiliities Network Editing.

Only sewer features are in my mxd.
0 Kudos
MichaelRivera
I found the EditTools.config file, it is located under \Program Files\ArcGIS Templates\Water Utilities\Network Editing

I opened it with Notepad and changed that 5 to a 0 and it doesn't add those doglegs anymore. Although I did talk to my boss and found what sewer dogleg lines are.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos