"Find Upstream Accumulation" Question

Jump to solution
09-19-2018 02:35 PM
Labels (1)
MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

I am looking at using the Geometric / Utility network to answer a few questions. One of which is upstream accumulation during peak times for a sanitary sewer system. I then want to do build out scenarios from a comprehensive plan and compare those number to the existing system to flag future problems. I found a tool that sound like it would do exactly what I need "Find Upstream Accumulation". My problem is I don't know how to use it. I run the tool and it looks like it only does a trace, it really doesn't look like it accumulates anything. Does anyone have any insight on how this tool is intended to work?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinPflanz
Esri Contributor

Matthew,

Beyond the tool question itself, is the end result/need you have to look at your sewer system to make sure there are no overflows during peak times, and if so, find those trouble areas to recommend improving?  If yes, I would encourage you to check with your engineering/planning group to see if they can assist with any hydraulic modeling tools to test the different scenarios.  There will be an impact on inflow and infiltration through small leaks in sewer system elements during storm events and from groundwater, that would have a cumulative impact on final sanitary peak flow volumes (they could assist on selecting storm events to model, condition of system to model etc).  Such modeling software can help account for those factors, design pipe sizes, and output the required system changes to meet future conditions so you can graphically compare current/new. 

You mentioned in the post you had more questions - feel free to add/ask!

Respectfully,

Martin    

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Is this it? Finding the upstream accumulation—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

It says the total cost of the features is reported in the status bar. Does it do that, and is it the number you want?

0 Kudos
MartinPflanz
Esri Contributor

Matthew,

Beyond the tool question itself, is the end result/need you have to look at your sewer system to make sure there are no overflows during peak times, and if so, find those trouble areas to recommend improving?  If yes, I would encourage you to check with your engineering/planning group to see if they can assist with any hydraulic modeling tools to test the different scenarios.  There will be an impact on inflow and infiltration through small leaks in sewer system elements during storm events and from groundwater, that would have a cumulative impact on final sanitary peak flow volumes (they could assist on selecting storm events to model, condition of system to model etc).  Such modeling software can help account for those factors, design pipe sizes, and output the required system changes to meet future conditions so you can graphically compare current/new. 

You mentioned in the post you had more questions - feel free to add/ask!

Respectfully,

Martin    

0 Kudos
MatthewKalcich
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Martin,

At this time we are not looking to do modeling to this detail. We will look at peak times in the morning and assume a generic number for I&I, look at the slope, and pipe diameter to see what the current capacity is and compare it to different build out scenarios. These scenarios may never actually exist. The results will just aid in planning. When a conceptual design for the area is complete we will run a more detailed model at that time. We were looking into tools to quickly get the "generic" answers we need, it looks like the upstream accumulation tool will fit that current need.

Thanks for your reply,

Matt

0 Kudos
DonRodgers
New Contributor III

I'm trying to do something similar to what you describe with the "Find Upstream Accumulation" tool. I have played with it and gleaned enough information from the helps to get a return on the status bar, as I imagine you have by now. Have you been able to determine what the number returned actually means or how it is calculated?

Don 

0 Kudos