Stormwater Inventory - workflow

01-25-2012 06:08 AM
TinaGarver
New Contributor
Hi everyone. I am new to these forums, and new to utility gis mapping. I thought this might be a good place to get some peer advice on workflow.  I am working on our stormwater inventory. We have an old partial inventory of our system that was done a few years back. We have found a lot of discrepancies, so we are reinventorying the system. I have a geodatabase that contains feature classes for each type of infrastructure ( catch basins, junction box, outfall, etc.) of the old inventory and one that contains all the information of the new inventory. The new inventory is collected via GPS weekly, so I am constantly updating these files. I need to be able to give my GIS data to an online company that we will be using to manage all stormwater reporting requirements and it has an online GIS feature. I will not be able to update this information freely, so I need to be able to have both the old and new information available on the website. I will probably be able to update the GIS data on this website annually since there is a cost for updating. All of the old inventory is labeled by a specific ID. The new inventory has the same id, with some additional  structures that will need to be renamed to fit the existing numbering scheme.

I guess my question is what is the best way to combine these two files into one file, and where two points are representing the same structure delete the old data? In this case, the old point and new point will not be identical. The gps points will be slightly different and the new data will have more attributes than the old data.

I'm sorry if this is lengthy, but I am having a hard time coming up with the best way to manage this data. I am not aware of all the extensions available, so I might miss an easy way to acheive this task. Thank you so much for your help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
tgarver7, welcome to the fourm.  Once you merge the data, you can use the Find Identical or Delete Identical tool, here is the help info - http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001700000054000000
0 Kudos
TinaGarver
New Contributor
Thank you for your help! I will check it out.
0 Kudos
TinaGarver
New Contributor
Any idea on how to do this with an ArcEditor license? 😞

I think I need to try to get a license upgrade in the budget next year!
0 Kudos
AnasMalkawi1
New Contributor II
If you have an ArcEditor license it is a very simple process. We have two types of files in our database: 1. Old database information from record drawings and old surveys 2. new data collected on our assets using GPS. As mentioned previously, the find identical tool works great to isolate the identical assets and converet the attributes between the two datasets. We created a third layer called Asset inventory which contains the precise location and accurate attribute information of each asset. You can then take that one layer and send it to whoever is updating the website.

This is very general information. if you need specifics please let me know.
0 Kudos