Synchronizing GIS with Enterprise Asset Management system - Handling Abandoned features and Asset Split

12-18-2018 08:12 PM
Labels (3)
Rama_RaoBandreddy
New Contributor

Hi,

We are working on developing interfaces to synchronize GIS (on ESRI Geodatabase) with enterprise asset management system. The network datasets in Geodatabase are enabled with GLOBALID and registered as versioned. As part of initial synchronization, GLOBALID along with other attributes are sent to enterprise asset management system and from there on GLOBALID acts as primary key in order to sync any updates from GIS. Using version changes, we are able identify and synchronize the changes performed on GIS (i.e., inserts / updates / deletes) with the help of GLOBALID. Now we are struck with two cases i.e., asset abandonment and asset split.

It is assumed that there are two feature classes as part of data model in order to keep the abandoned features i.e., Abandoned Line and Abandoned Point. We are using ArcGIS Network Editing tools to abandon / unabandon features. In case of abandoning a feature, it is observed that the feature is getting deleted from source layer and a new feature is inserted in abandon feature class (with a new GLOBALID). Since we are loosing out GLOBALID from the source layer, is there any better way of tracking / identifying the GLOBALID of source layer from abandon feature layer ? We have noticed facility identifier as one of the field, But is that field normally being used to maintain unique values ?

Also, during asset split, we wanted to maintain parent / child relationship between the pre-split feature and features that are created post split. We are assuming that a original GLOBAL ID field(in addition to ESRI's standard GLOBALID field) that populates the original / parent GLOBALID in case of split. Is this assumption works fine or is there any alternate approach to deal this scenario.

It will be of great help if we get to know the standard way which utilities follow to overcome the above mentioned scenarios.

Regards,
Rama Rao

0 Kudos
0 Replies