Water Geometric Network with Loops - How to use Flow Direction?

03-16-2017 07:51 AM
DiogoReis
New Contributor II

I am working with a water database, which has WTP, pipe, valves and meters feature classes. I've created a geometric network on the feature dataset, making meters as sinks and WTP as sources. However, my pipeline structure has many loops in their geometry and when I used the Set Flow Direction tool (based on their role - sink and source) it has created many indetermined flow edges. I've checked some workarounds (as stableshing only sinks or only sources in my geometric network) but it doesn't work also. Is there any way to fix that? Or the tool will always point as indetermined flow when it's possible to run in both direction (loop)? Is there any way I can indicate some direction with this tool, for example, select a pipe and chose if it goes upstream or downstream for the pipeline wihtout using the digitized direction?

I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.

Thank you very much!

Diogo Reis 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

What your talking about doing is hydraulic modeling as is usually done is a separate software package.  The utility model isn't really equipped to do the complex calculations needed to determine flow in these types of situations.  In fact as the conditions change (tank levels, pumps turn on/off, demand patterns) the flow direction can vary pretty dramatically in a water system.  The flow directions works well with sewer systems sue to their lack of loops and one way flow design.  Geometric networks for water usage is limited mostly to connectivity tracing and isolation. 

DiogoReis
New Contributor II

Hi Christopher!

Thank you for the quicky reply! I just wanna make sure there is no other way to use the tool.

Have a great day!

Diogo Reis

0 Kudos