Workflow for the GPS survey

02-01-2024 09:41 AM
Labels (1)
mykola
by
New Contributor III

Good day,

Apologies for the long read, couldn't not make it any shorter 🙂 

I am working on a project to reorganize our workflow for the utility GPS surveying with the idea of moving this process fully into GIS. The workers have their GNSS device and measure right after the pipe installation. I tried to find any examples of how it is done elsewhere but, as always, there is very little information about it. Our current workflow consists of several steps that both the project managers and the workers need to complete in the Asset Management System (AMS) before it arrives to our GIS department. The good thing about having it in the AMS is that I can lookup all necessary information regarding the project, see who is doing what and check various related files (drawings, photos, etc) before and after the job is done. 

The new workflow that our management has in mind is map-centric. We have already started to collect high-precision GPS data in Field Maps with the use of Emlid GNSS. It works well even though it requires automated geoprocessing steps to process measured points. I am stuck at coming up with a reasonable solution both for field workers and the GIS department to share additional information from the field and the way of communication between the office and the field. Before, we received a sketch with arrows and comments from a field worker who wants to deliver additional info to us. Making it in the GIS with a default tools seems impossible.

I wonder if any of you established a solid workflow for GPS survey including the exchange of files and additional information between the office and the field,  keeping the logs of the important steps, etc? Would love to hear your ideas and see the solutions is there are any. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KimRutledge
New Contributor II

Hi,

Which mapping software are you using?

If you have Pro, I suggest watching the following video series: Inspection Workflows by Eric Wagner with ESRI: https://youtu.be/v0W6X6ovi_Q?si=XZGzNVuWCYbUUtYo 

We accomplish our GPS data collection workflows using ArcPro for publishing features to ArcGIS Online, then creating a web map in ArcGIS Online to be consumed using Field Map App. 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
mykola
by
New Contributor III

Thanks, I have seen this video before. We are doing similar things but I was looking for idea to integrate it in the larger workflow. In the 80% of jobs, the field worker always provides some additional information by making a sketch and sending it to us with another additional info. I tried to find some solution that will help to provide similar information to replicate that process but not successful so far. 

0 Kudos