Best practices for customization and development

Jump to solution
09-17-2015 12:13 AM
TorillGabrielsen1
New Contributor

Hi,

I am a develper and have just started creating apps with WAB 1.2, and have never worked with WAP before. I struggle a bit to find the best workflow to easy access debug my own widgets in the brower. To debug sample widgets i have found the url http://[localhost]:3344/webappviewer/?config=sample-configs/config-demo.json. If I create a new widget 'Feedback' and but it under the stemap/wigdet folder. Is there an url can i use locally to debug my new widget during development, without having to add it to an app and open it every time i need to debug?

Thanks and regards,

Torill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Torill,

My standard practice is to create an app for each of my widget development efforts and open the widget from that apps widgets folder in my IDE (i.e. C:\web-appbuilder-1.2\server\apps\3\widgets\eSearch).

But as you are asking for a way to not do this then you would do exactly what you are doing but you would have to manually add your widget to the sample-configs/config-demo.json or create your own folder and json for your widget development like widget-dev/config.json. The down side to your approach is as a good widget developer you should be developing the widget settings UI at the same time you are developing the widgets UI and when using the webappviewer you are only testing the actual widget UI and you will not see or access the widgets setting UI.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Torill,

My standard practice is to create an app for each of my widget development efforts and open the widget from that apps widgets folder in my IDE (i.e. C:\web-appbuilder-1.2\server\apps\3\widgets\eSearch).

But as you are asking for a way to not do this then you would do exactly what you are doing but you would have to manually add your widget to the sample-configs/config-demo.json or create your own folder and json for your widget development like widget-dev/config.json. The down side to your approach is as a good widget developer you should be developing the widget settings UI at the same time you are developing the widgets UI and when using the webappviewer you are only testing the actual widget UI and you will not see or access the widgets setting UI.

TorillGabrielsen2
New Contributor

Thank you for your answer! You really helped me out here. Based on esris documentation I thought that widget development should be done in the stemapp folder, but now understand that this must be done in apps widgets folder.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Torill, don't forget to mark Robert's response as the answer to close this thread.

0 Kudos