ArcGIS 10.2 Publishing Tools Error

Jump to solution
08-19-2013 03:07 PM
YungKaiChin
Occasional Contributor
I am testing ArcGIS 10.2.
I am trying to publish a web service from ArcGIS 10.2 Desktop to ArcGIS 10.2 Server, but I got an error message:

"The server is not ready for publishing.
Please check if the Publishing Tools on the server
(System/PublishingTools) are started."

The message appeared when I clicked Publish on Service Editor.
I used Manager to check the services, and the tools were running (started).
Any input, suggestion, solution will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Note:
For the test purpose, I turned off the firework, so it shouldn't be the cause.
Under Admin tools/Services, ArcGIS Server is also running.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YungKaiChin
Occasional Contributor
Thanks, Gareth.
I finally solved the problem.
Yes, it is security related, and it could be a small bug.

The security was set to Public, but there was a role under Allowed Roles. [Screenshot in Attachment]
It seemed that it was still treated as Private when there was something in Allowed Roles even if it was grayed out.
Once I removed the role, re-selected Public, and saved the setting, I was able to publish service(s).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
GarethFinney1
New Contributor III
Howdy - I'm having a similar issue (I think) with 10.1
I get this error - or what seems like a similar error when I enable security on the site. Do you have security enabled on the site, and if so, if you disable it - and make the 'services' public - do you no longer get this issue?
cheers
GF
0 Kudos
YungKaiChin
Occasional Contributor
Thanks, Gareth.
I finally solved the problem.
Yes, it is security related, and it could be a small bug.

The security was set to Public, but there was a role under Allowed Roles. [Screenshot in Attachment]
It seemed that it was still treated as Private when there was something in Allowed Roles even if it was grayed out.
Once I removed the role, re-selected Public, and saved the setting, I was able to publish service(s).
0 Kudos
RickThiel
Occasional Contributor
I am getting the same error too.  I tried setting the service directory to public, plus I removed the latent roles.  Has anyone found a root cause for this?
0 Kudos
AdrienneAllegretti
New Contributor
Was having the same issue with 10.2. Just got off the phone with Esri and it appears this is a known issue.

The technician said that the server gets overloaded on reboot and applies security to the System directory.

The fix is easy:
- Click on System folder. Is the lock icon locked? If so, click on it and make sure it is set to Public and hit SAVE.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30232[/ATTACH]
wanwan
by
New Contributor
Hye All,

need assist from you guys, im using linux server and arcgis 10.2, but no im not able tu publish?i aready make the changes on security part, make them public instead of private, i already restart the services but the error still same.

the error same like the 1st thread. i hope some one can help me in this matter

Thank you
0 Kudos
wanwan
by
New Contributor
Was having the same issue with 10.2. Just got off the phone with Esri and it appears this is a known issue.

The technician said that the server gets overloaded on reboot and applies security to the System directory.

The fix is easy:
- Click on System folder. Is the lock icon locked? If so, click on it and make sure it is set to Public and hit SAVE.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30232[/ATTACH]

Hye,

i already do on what u say, but the error still same im using linux server and arcgis 10.2, is it anything that i must to do?

need your help

Thank You
0 Kudos
HNoakes
Esri Contributor
Is there any update to this? I have also experienced the same symptoms and adgealleg mentions Esri saying that it is a known issue. Has it been logged as a bug? Or maybe resolved at 10.2.1?
Thanks,
-h
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
have you given permissions ArcGIS Server account to folders with your data used in mxd?
0 Kudos
NathanHeick
Occasional Contributor II

Right now, I'm dealing with symptoms that are common to several threads related to the Publishing Tools service.  The problem I was facing is that I could not publish services from ArcMap to an administrative ArcGIS Server connection using port 6080 in ArcGIS for Server 10.2.1.  First, here are the ideas I read:

1.     You have to make your ArcGIS Server connection in ArcMap using the Web Adaptor URL.

2.     You have to enable administrative access through the Web Adaptor.

3.     The System folder is locked for some reason and you have to make it public.

However, after lengthy testing, my findings were as follows:

1.     You can make a publisher or administrator connection to ArcGIS Server through the Web Adaptor or the GIS Server tier.  However, when you try to publish a service, ArcMap needs access to the Publishing Tools service.

2.     If the System folder is unlocked (anonymous authentication), you can publish a service no matter how you connect to ArcGIS Server from ArcMap.  If the System folder is locked you have to authenticate through the Web Adaptor.  This is true if you used roles or any logged in user to set the security on that folder.  Your connection to ArcGIS Server does not automatically connect you to the Publishing Tools service.  You either have to be anonymous or go through the Web Adaptor.

3.     The System folder was locked on our server for some reason.  This may have happened automatically when we enabled Web Tier authentication.  Maybe it is a bug.  No matter what, it got locked, which starts the whole problem.  If you're unaware of this, your only chance of publishing a service would be through the Web Adaptor.

5.     The following causes the most confusion of all.  If you started out using the GIS Server URL, you cannot switch to the Web Adaptor URL unless administrative access is enabled on the Web Adaptor.  To make an administrative or publisher connection, ArcMap tries to connect to the Web Adaptor.  If administrative access is disabled through the Web Adaptor, ArcMap will revert back to the old GIS Server URL behind your back.  The problem is that ArcMap lets you click apply to change the URL, but changes it back after you close the connection dialog.  It seems to check the URL after you close it, not when you click apply or right before it closes.  That is a design flaw in ArcMap.  It should give you an error message that administrative access is disabled through the Web Adaptor.  At this point, your only hope would be to enable administrative access through the Web Adaptor and add a role you are a member of to the System folder security settings, all of which you're unlikely to figure out on your own.

6.     Thus, if the System folder is unlocked you can connect to ArcGIS Server anyway you want to publish a service.  If the System folder is locked, you have to have proper credentials to the System folder, enable administrative access through the Web Adaptor, and connect through the Web Adaptor to publish a service.

7.     Apparently, to lock down both the Systems folder and administrative access through the Web Adaptor, you would have to publish your services through ArcGIS Server Manager while connected to the GIS Server tier.  Otherwise, to publish through ArcGIS Desktop, you would have to choose between one or the other.