Flipping many lines in a geometric network

08-30-2013 05:28 AM
DennisTumberg
New Contributor
I am trying to flip lines in a geometric network to match the flow direction and can't seem to find a tool to do this.  I tried installing the Water Utility Network Editing for ArcGIS 10.2. I followed the directions to install and when I open the toolbar most of the tools show as "Missing". Are there any other ways to get this accomplished without the Water Utility Network Editing Add-In?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
If you can select them by hand, use the flip line tool? http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001v00000005000000.htm
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I am trying to flip lines in a geometric network to match the flow direction and can't seem to find a tool to do this.  I tried installing the Water Utility Network Editing for ArcGIS 10.2. I followed the directions to install and when I open the toolbar most of the tools show as "Missing". Are there any other ways to get this accomplished without the Water Utility Network Editing Add-In?

Thanks!

If you have at least a Standard (ArcEditor) license you can use the Flip Line tool under the Editor toolbox to flip all of the lines at once.  This tool directly alters the original features without creating a copy, and it will not flip direction-dependent attributes, only line geometry.

Therefore, you should first either create a copy of the entire feature class before flipping the lines or after you have selected the lines you intend to flip, export that set of features to a new feature class.  Then you  can use the Flip Line tool to alter the geometry followed by a Join to the copied features and using the Field Calculator to flip any direction-dependent attributes.  If you have no unique ID field to export to do a standard join you could use the Spatial Join tool to get the matching Target ObjectID field values of your original lines needed to perform the join.
0 Kudos
EvaJuhasz
New Contributor III

Hi Richard Fairhurst,

I try to use this Flip line tool on a enterprise geodatabase FC (cable), which is a part of a Geometric Network.
It does not run, I keep getting the following error:

ERROR 000382: Kabel is a non-simple feature type
Failed to execute (FlipLine).

The FC is a simple feature type of course, but it is in a Geometric Network.

I tried to export it to a new FC, and the flip line tool works fine on that. I tried also to delete the geometric network and I could use the flip lien tool without any error .

I wonder if it is a normal behavior of flip line tool with geometric network or something is wrong with ArcMap (v.10.2.1) ?

Many thanks for your help in advanced!

Eva

RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Eva:

Geometric Networks and Network Analyst networks are not simple polyline feature classes.  They are complex, because they are controlled by relationship classes and other programming that integrates several feature classes together as a network.  If a tool only operates on simple feature classes then that means that the feature class cannot have these kinds of relationships to other feature classes.  I did not mention that in my response before, because I have never used a Geometric Network and at the time not used a Network Analyst Network, so it did not register that this would be an issue.

EvaJuhasz
New Contributor III

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your respond!

If I understand it correctly it means at the Geometric Network makes the simple polyline feature classes to complex because of the different relation classes and other programming that integrates the several fetaure classes together as a network.

Do you have any idea how can we avoid this problem and flip many lines in a geometric network together instead of at flip each line with the right klick popup menu Flip tool?

Many thanks in advanced for your help!

Best regards

Eva

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Essentially there is no alternative other than deleting the Geometric Network, doing the flip and rebuilding the network.  A custom script might do it using cursors.  However, the update cursor would almost definitely have to do the flips while set up for versioned editing and it is possible that even then the cursor may throw an error as well.  Unfortunately, I don't have any geometric networks set up and I really am too busy at this time to do any experiments on this.

EvaJuhasz
New Contributor III

Many thanks for your help and quick responds

Eva

0 Kudos