The layer is not responding in ArcGIS Online Web Map

Jump to solution
10-24-2013 06:31 AM
PaulKamis
New Contributor II
I have an instance of ArcServer 10.2 in the Amazon cloud hosting several Map Service that are feature enabled.  I recently setup a demo map in ArcGIS online that is consuming these services so that I can show them out to clients.  I was able to sucessfully get the several feature services loaded, and saved my map.  When renavigating to the map, however, none of the feature services will load, and I instead get a series of pop up boxes see in the image attached. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28572[/ATTACH]

I am able to remove this error by simply visitng the URL for the rest services of one of the hosted services.  AKA, if I simply go to <ArcServer>/arcgis/rest/services/<Demo_Service>/FeatureServer, and let the page load, then revisit the map, all the feature services load fine.

What could be causing this?  Is there some sort of caching issue?  Why does my browser need to know how to see the feature service before it will load in ArcGIS online? 

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
your arcgis server is not accessible to me. I am unable to hit the service directly outside of arcgis.com. Also, I noticed that theses services are added via https to the map, this may be causing an issue.

Perhaps there is some authentication going on between your web browser and server. Once you hit the service endpoint directly, you may be getting authenticated, which then allows the service to be seen in arcgis.com

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are the services secured?
Can you share your map publicly and post the URL to it here?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PaulKamis
New Contributor II
Mike,

The services are NOT secured.  They were, and I thought that was perhaps the issue, so I removed the security requirements.  The server does have a security certificate installed, and is open on the 6443 port.  However, if you navigate directly to one of the service URL's, you get prompted with an untrusted security certificate warning, and I feel like that has to be the issue. 

The link to the map with the demo services is below.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=62aecbd24ad94531bc5fde98894fd08f
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
your arcgis server is not accessible to me. I am unable to hit the service directly outside of arcgis.com. Also, I noticed that theses services are added via https to the map, this may be causing an issue.

Perhaps there is some authentication going on between your web browser and server. Once you hit the service endpoint directly, you may be getting authenticated, which then allows the service to be seen in arcgis.com

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PaulKamis
New Contributor II
Mike,

That was indeed the issue.  The certificate on the server was untrusted, and was causing issues, so once you visited it manually and cached it as trusted, the services would load.  I have updated this and everything works now.

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
BeauDealy
New Contributor
We had a similar problem, only in reverse. Our ArcGIS server had no security certificate, but SSL enabled in AGO didn't allow for untrusted sources. Assuming you don't care about SSL (and if you're doing mash-up you probably don't ) you can fix by navigating from AGO user home to Edit Settings -> Security, Unchecking "Allow access to the organization through SSL only", and finally mashing the "Save" button at the bottom. If it doesn't prompt you, you might wanna log out and log back in for good measure.

Thanks for providing the clue re: security!
0 Kudos