ArcGIS Pro Beta cannot connect to SDE based on Oracle.

Jump to solution
07-17-2014 09:55 AM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using Beta 4, Build 1141.  I copied the instance 'string' from ArcCatalog 10.2.0 to the instance string input box in ArcGIS Pro. The ArcCatalog connection dialog box is on the left and the AGP dialog box is on the right.  They are identical

Oracle.PNG

I have no problem connecting to and editing this SDE database via ArcMap, which strongly suggests that the Oracle client libraries are properly installed on my computer.    But I get the following error from AGP when I click 'OK'

---------------------------

Connection Error

Failed to connect to the specified server.

A database connection exception has occurred.

Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load.  Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.

OK

Any ideas what's going on or how I can correct this problem?  I realize that this is a beta version......

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro is a 64-bit application and thus will need Oracle 64-bit Client  to be present for you to connect.

The ArcGIS Desktop is a 32-bit application and should be using the Oracle 32-bit client libraries to connect.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro is a 64-bit application and thus will need Oracle 64-bit Client  to be present for you to connect.

The ArcGIS Desktop is a 32-bit application and should be using the Oracle 32-bit client libraries to connect.

AZendel

Of course!  I bet that's the issue.  Oracle client configurations can be tricky, especially when using LDAP and OS Authentication.  I'm tempted to co-install the 64-bit client to run along side the current 32-bit installation, but I'm not going to risk causing problems with my ability to edit critical SDE feature classes. 

Another question: I'm aware that some 10.2 'background' geoprocessing tools run on 64-bit.  In ArcGIS Pro, do all of the other geoprocessing tools run on 64-bit?  Or is ArcGIS Pro using the same geoprocessing libraries as 10.2?

Thanks for the speedy response,

Alex

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I am not completely sure about that, but am 99% sure that the answer to that question is Yes! All the GP tools run on 64-bit 

HakanKOCAMAN1
New Contributor

It is worked this method for me.

Note: Adam haklı beyler.

0 Kudos
TonyAlfredsson
New Contributor

So what is the recommended configuration if you use both ArcGIS Desktop 10.x and ArcGIS Pro and like to connect to Oracle databases from both clients?

Regards, Tony

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Install both the 64-bit & 32-bit Oracle client and then ensure that the 64-bit client is listed first in the path environment variable.

TonyAlfredsson
New Contributor

Ah 64-bit first in the path, thank you for the quick reply!

Regards, Tony

0 Kudos
AZendel

Tony,

Are you successfully running 32 bit and 64 bit oracle clients on the same Windows desktops? It would be nice to use the 64 bit geoprocessing on Pro but I absolutely need to be edit our SDE data that I'm currently accessing via the 32 bit client.

Also, are you having to change the path string when you need to switch between 32 and 64? Or is it "seamless"?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

It should be seamless. You don't need to change the path string when you need to switch between 32 and 64.

0 Kudos