Image Service - Accessing Dynamic and Cached from same URL

07-27-2014 05:03 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

If publish an Image Service and then cache it for performance,  is it possible to access the dynamic image serice via a URL in the JavasScript API?

It sounds as if in ArcMap you can do this but what about via a web API?

Also, when using ArcGIS for Desktop applications, such as ArcMap, you can access the cached image service or access it as a dynamic image service. You can control how it's being accessed by checking or unchecking Enable Cache View Mode in the context menu on the image service layer in the table of contents.

Thanks,

Mele

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

After doing some further research,  I found that it is not possbile to access the dynamic image service once it has been cached via JavaScript.

What can be done is to have two services,  one cached and one dynamic.   Using the scale of the map,  in JavaScript we would have to swtich to the dynamic service at larger scales.

We may end up doing the same thing with a Map Service as we don't need the capabilities of the Image Service.

Mele

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Mele,

This is an older thread, but I was asking a similar question, but with the new 10.5.x version

https://community.esri.com/message/678884-image-service-dynamic-vs-caching-105x 

Have you come up with any other tips or best practices that worked for you?  Did you find switching the cached vesion to a Map Service was better than having a two Image Services (one cached, one not)??

You can answer on my thread if you want, and mark your answer as correct on this thread (to close it out).

Thanks

0 Kudos