Have you ever hosted a GIS day event before?

07-30-2014 04:23 PM
ErinGardner
New Contributor II

I have a few people who are interested in hosting a GIS day event for the first time, but aren't sure where to start.  Any suggestions on hosting a successful GIS day event? 

Tags (2)
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes, many times, but Esri has some info and there are many links at www.esri.com for example, searching using "GIS Day" yields:

Search - Esri - The GIS Software Leader

This link on Geography Awareness week will also be of use

Geography Awareness Week - National Geographic Education

0 Kudos
MiriamOlivares
New Contributor

I would say to start with lots of enthusiasm. Identify your target audience. Do you want to reach out students, professionals, colleagues? Based on that audience you need to tailor your event's agenda. Select/invite your team members and discuss what each member can offer (presentations, demos, etc.) and how the tasks will be divided.

Do you have budget? You might want to use it to offer some refreshments or pay mileage of a GIS celebrity living close by.

No budget? No problem, there are many government agencies that might be willing to send an expert to delight your audience with a keynote lecture.

Very important, once you reserve your venues and finalize your agenda, go Marketing Team go! Promoting your event is key to have a successful event. In the past, we used ot spend time printing out programs, posters, etc. These days our attendees take pictures of the programs and leave the paper behind. Take advantage of social media by all means. If you have connections with student organizations, ask them for help.

The 1st year organizing GIS Day can be small, so you can make sure all your events are carefully designed and well organized. As you learn keep adding more and more. As your event consolidates, renown speakers will accept invitations and speaker bureaus would approve your requests.

We always try to partner with organizations that have to disseminate knowledge or organize academic events as part of their mission. GIS Day is a great way for them to have a successful lecture, and in a way you do the work for them (and don't tell them, but guess what? they pay your event while you don't have budget). I'd be happy to share more if you are interested to organize a low-budget awesome GIS Day!

BridgetJohanning
New Contributor II

You read my story.  I started small and was unsuccessful.  I had zero budget.  The first year, all the supplies (except what ESRI supplied) I paid for out of my own pocket.

This year we met a teacher and it became a mini conference.  It was awesome!!!