Trading Sides!!: .Net > iOS

07-30-2014 02:39 PM
BrianLocke
Occasional Contributor II

... well not entirely--yet.  I know I am not the only one out there that is feeling the invasion of iOS.  I must admit I have tried and tried to steer clear of the iOS tidal wave, but that's a little difficult when your shop has made exceptions and the end users are practically screaming for Ipad's.

I have started to take the plunge and must admit it's not as scary as I thought--feeling pretty good, but I would like a little bit more meat and more of a transposition of .Net to iOS instead of baby steps for beginning developers.  Any one else that has come from the .Net world and feel like sharing some resources on how to get up to par?

I know Jeff Jackson‌ does .Net and now focuses on iOS

any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brian,

I have also being a .NET developer and I started developing for iOS. There is a big curve, yet you need to jump in the pool and start working with xCode to create an app, in no time, you'll be up and running.

The good news is swift is coming out soon, you can download the beta version of xCode 6 that includes that language. If you come from .NET, Swift will look very familiar to you.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Al

JeffJackson
New Contributor III

One of the resources that helped me a lot was the Big Nerd Ranch. I strongly recommend both their books and their bootcamp training sessions. And as Al Pascual‌ says the best way to get up to speed is to jump off the deep end. Build an app.

When I went to the ranch I had already gone through iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide on my own and we were prototyping the Explorer application. So during labs and after hours I was able to engage the instructors with questions and pick their brains about best practices.

One thing I didn't expect was how hard it was to transition to the Mac and Xcode. My initial feeling was that Xcode was a far cry from Visual Studio and the Mac was a black box OS. Of course that couldn't be further from the truth. I just needed some guidance and experience.

Feel free to use the GeoNet community to ask questions. There are lots of valuable resources here.

And check out Swift for sure. If you've programmed in C# you'll find it pretty similar.

BrianLocke
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks guys looking at both diving off the deep and also looking at Swift

0 Kudos