Create Line Symbol using Character Marker Symbol

Jump to solution
08-08-2014 06:31 AM
AndreeaAmbrus
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a new line symbol, using a Character Marker Symbol. I've selected the one that I want (a footprint) and I set up its properties in the Symbol Property Editor: increase size and rotate. Once I bring it into the line symbol, it goes back to the default angle, and the symbols are parallel (when I would want them perpendicular - so that I have a footprint path and not parallel footprints). I tried it several times and my symbol does not want to rotate. Any suggestions?

footprint.jpgline symbol.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I was able to achieve this, but it's a rather convoluted set of steps so I hope you can follow me.

Here's what I did:

1. started with railroad symbol, for an example
2. in the symbol selector I clicked Edit Symbol button
3. in the Symbol Property Editor I unchecked the line so it wouldn't draw (could also just delete that part of the line symbol) and highlighted the crossbar part of the railroad line symbol
4. this gave me a Hash Line to work with (you could start with a basic line and set it to a Hash line style)
5. I clicked the Hash Symbol button
6. this opened up a line symbol selector
7. I clicked the Edit Symbol button
8. in the Symbol Property Editor I changed it to a Marker Line Symbol and clicked the Symbol button to edit the marker
9. in the Symbol Selector I clicked the Edit Symbol button to edit the marker
10. I chose the marker I wanted to use and clicked OK all the way back out to the  Hash Line Symbol where I set the Angle to 90
11. clicked OK all the way out of the dialogs from there and it looks like my symbol is following the line rather than being at right angles to it

It's possible there is an easier or more straightforward way to do this using representations.

Another option would be to start with a marker symbol that points the right way so you don't have to rotate it.

good luck!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I was able to achieve this, but it's a rather convoluted set of steps so I hope you can follow me.

Here's what I did:

1. started with railroad symbol, for an example
2. in the symbol selector I clicked Edit Symbol button
3. in the Symbol Property Editor I unchecked the line so it wouldn't draw (could also just delete that part of the line symbol) and highlighted the crossbar part of the railroad line symbol
4. this gave me a Hash Line to work with (you could start with a basic line and set it to a Hash line style)
5. I clicked the Hash Symbol button
6. this opened up a line symbol selector
7. I clicked the Edit Symbol button
8. in the Symbol Property Editor I changed it to a Marker Line Symbol and clicked the Symbol button to edit the marker
9. in the Symbol Selector I clicked the Edit Symbol button to edit the marker
10. I chose the marker I wanted to use and clicked OK all the way back out to the  Hash Line Symbol where I set the Angle to 90
11. clicked OK all the way out of the dialogs from there and it looks like my symbol is following the line rather than being at right angles to it

It's possible there is an easier or more straightforward way to do this using representations.

Another option would be to start with a marker symbol that points the right way so you don't have to rotate it.

good luck!

AndreeaAmbrus
New Contributor III

THANK YOU! It worked !

0 Kudos