Insurance for freelance GIS professional

Jump to solution
08-25-2014 04:58 PM
RamonaNavarrete
New Contributor

Has anyone applied for insurance for omissions and errors as a freelance GIS analyst?

Currently I am starting my own business and am having a hard time finding a classification for insurance purposes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

The type of insurance will generally depend on which countries you intend to operate in and your clients requirements.

In Australia, we have professional indemnity insurance which I am assuming is similar to omissions and errors insurance. There is also public and products liability insurance. Most insurers will package both into a single policy.

Also, GIS should fall into the IT classification. Make sure that your policy covers products and services - as there can be a blurred distinction between the two in the IT industry.

The best place to start would be talking to a local IT insurance broker as they would know the specific details for your area. Also, ask clients or potential clients what requirements they have regarding insurance coverage.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

The type of insurance will generally depend on which countries you intend to operate in and your clients requirements.

In Australia, we have professional indemnity insurance which I am assuming is similar to omissions and errors insurance. There is also public and products liability insurance. Most insurers will package both into a single policy.

Also, GIS should fall into the IT classification. Make sure that your policy covers products and services - as there can be a blurred distinction between the two in the IT industry.

The best place to start would be talking to a local IT insurance broker as they would know the specific details for your area. Also, ask clients or potential clients what requirements they have regarding insurance coverage.