Why can't I add datasets to Open Data sites?

Jump to solution
09-05-2014 02:31 PM
SeanKearney
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to get started with an Open Data site and so far getting nowhere!  I am trying to start by simply allowing others to browse the datasets on the open data site and download them.  However, when I add an open data group to the site, it does not seem that any of the datasets have been added to the Open Data site. 

Here is the group I would like to add (it is currently publicly shared, with Open Data access allowed):

http://bit.ly/1qm4QGm

There should be two datasets in there, one is a hosted features layers, the other a web map with the same hosted features layer added to it (in case that somehow makes a difference!)

Here is the open data site I would like to add the group datasets to:

abesopen.sean-kearney.opendata.arcgis.com

I have added the group to the open data site and then tried many different things.  First, if I try to use a widget and add a dataset map widget, I get no list of datasets below the search bar.  Only a spinning wheel (and in Firefox a bouncing scroll bar.  Have tried with Firefox, Safari and Chrome.  Also tried with the open data site set to public or not, as per a related post.)  I have also tried adding a dataset ID, both from a hosted feature ID and from a webmap ID, both with no luck.

If I preview the site and search for a dataset, or browse all datasets, it says that no datasets are found.

Am I missing something, or is the ArcGIS Online Open Data platform still just really buggy?  Our organization was contemplating making a switch from GeoNode over to ArcGIS because we thought it would be less buggy, but so far no luck.  Need a simple solution soon to easily share some simple datasets among diverse project partners!  Any ideas, help or links to other threads would be much appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looking through the events and dates in this thread, there were multiple different issues that were addressed.

In the fall, there was a period of time when the indexing was slow and new data added to a site could take a few minutes or a few days. This issue was fixed, and the indexing was running smooth for quite some time.

In the end of January, a new issue arose with the indexing where there was a different lag in showing new datasets. During this time, a message appeared in the Open Data Administration application. I'm very happy to say that our development team has resolved this, and adding new data should appear quickly. There was also a change, where you no longer need to update the index of your site to show new items added to a group. When you share a new item into a group that has Open Data enabled, the dataset will be immediately indexed. (Larger datasets may take longer to show up, this is expected as it takes longer to gather stats on large data.)

I'm apologize for the workflows recommended to just keep adding the item to the group and removing, or jamming the re-index button as both options are essentially "jiggling the handle". We will make sure that the older bug is marked as resolved, and if anyone experiences new issues with indexing datasets please let us know and we'll be happy to help you.

At the end of the month, we will also be introducing a new option for administrators to re-index individual layers. This option will rebuild the index and data summary, as well as clear the download cache.

If you have any outstanding issues or problems, please feel free to message me directly in geonet.

Cheers,

Andrew

View solution in original post

13 Replies
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

I have the same problem and there does not appear to be any reason I cannot see that my group content on Open Data

0 Kudos
SeanKearney
New Contributor II

As an update: I am continuing to have the same problems, but perhaps I can clarify with a little better language.  The problem I am having is I have uploaded a shapefile to My Content.  I have published it as a Feature Service (it is a hosted Feature Layer).  When I look at it on ArcGIS Online, I can see the Feature Layer, add it to maps, create popups, etc.  It also says it contains a layer (which I understand to be the same thing as a dataset).  I have shared it publicly and added it to a Group that is also listed as an Open Data group, and added this group to my Open Data site.  When I update the index on my Open Data site and go to the Data Report tab, this Feature Service appears and it has no Errors or Warnings.  However, it says it is a "Feature Service which has no datasets".  And therefore, when I preview my open data site there are no datasets to be found.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Can anyone think of why a feature service which contains data layers and appears normally in ArcGIS online maps would not be recognized on the Open Data manager?  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

sean

0 Kudos
C_EHoward

Very similar situation to me. Strangely, during the Esri open data webinar yesterday, the presented picked my group as content for the demo and they could see the content, but not me. So I am stumped. there must be one little thing we are not doing correctly. Will post back if I figure it out. This is only one of many issues I am trying to solve with AGOL to get some maps ready for the public.

0 Kudos
MingZhang
New Contributor

I would have to say that I'm getting exactly the same problems. Create a new item from a local shapefile and add it to my content, share it with an Open Data group ( public and open data enabled). The feature layer shows well up on the regular AGOL map viewer but doesn't show up on Open Data Preview mode. Widget Editor doesn't work either and I get the same spinning wheel.

By the way, I'm using  the latest Chrome Version 38.0.2125.101 m

Hang on, my feature layer just magically started to show up now! just a minute ago......9:25am 10/10/2014  Preview Site works normally although the Widget Editor still hung.

0 Kudos
WarrenDavison
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem as you've described here. Although, I went and visited your open data site (Home | ABESopen)‌ and it appears to be populated with datasets, were you able to figure out a solution?

I have tried with a variety of datasets (not just shapefiles) and I haven't managed to get anything to work.

0 Kudos
SeanKearney
New Contributor II

I just visited my open data site this morning and now the datasets appear! Also, if I log into my account and go to the Data Report tab it now says that each Feature Service contains one dataset!  I had reloaded everything yesterday, perhaps it just takes some time for them to register correctly?

However, they still won't appear in the widget editor or appear in the widget box on the actual open data site (if I manually enter the dataset ID).  I get a bouncing scroll-bar in the widget editor and a spinning wheel on the preview site (after manually entering the dataset ID). Furthermore - the point feature dataset doesn't quite appear to be working correctly.  For example, if I open the dataset on the open data website, many of the dataset attribute summary boxes are empty (where it says min, max, average, count) despite there being data in the table and working fine with the charts!  Not a big deal, but still seems pretty buggy?

By the way: using Firefox 32.0.3 with Flash enabled.  Have also tried on Safari and on Chrome.

0 Kudos
RobertRenner
New Contributor III

This issue has been recorded as a bug. There is no fix for it. I spoke with tech support who basically said that I should keep un-sharing and re-sharing the feature service with the Open Data group, as others have done or simply waiting for up to a day for it to eventually show up. I find this to be an unacceptable. This is probably the most important step in making the Open Data site actually usable and it's buggy. This should be at the top of their list of AGO Open Data bugs. I put in a request to escalate this and encourage others to do the same. Here is the response I got from tech support with the bug number:

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience of this issue we discussed which I believe is related to a known bug (see below). In my experience, de-sharing the services and re-sharing to the group has helped as well as waiting a day. I haven't yet tried re-publishing, but that could be an option as well.

[BUG-000082415 : New feature services added to an Open Data group takes a very long time to display (sometimes do not display) on an Open Data site, and if they do, they show 0 attributes.]

Please also find the blog below which details how to escalate a bug.

How To Escalate A Bug

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2012/09/05/how-to-escalate-a-bug/

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looking through the events and dates in this thread, there were multiple different issues that were addressed.

In the fall, there was a period of time when the indexing was slow and new data added to a site could take a few minutes or a few days. This issue was fixed, and the indexing was running smooth for quite some time.

In the end of January, a new issue arose with the indexing where there was a different lag in showing new datasets. During this time, a message appeared in the Open Data Administration application. I'm very happy to say that our development team has resolved this, and adding new data should appear quickly. There was also a change, where you no longer need to update the index of your site to show new items added to a group. When you share a new item into a group that has Open Data enabled, the dataset will be immediately indexed. (Larger datasets may take longer to show up, this is expected as it takes longer to gather stats on large data.)

I'm apologize for the workflows recommended to just keep adding the item to the group and removing, or jamming the re-index button as both options are essentially "jiggling the handle". We will make sure that the older bug is marked as resolved, and if anyone experiences new issues with indexing datasets please let us know and we'll be happy to help you.

At the end of the month, we will also be introducing a new option for administrators to re-index individual layers. This option will rebuild the index and data summary, as well as clear the download cache.

If you have any outstanding issues or problems, please feel free to message me directly in geonet.

Cheers,

Andrew

RonnieRichards

We had a very similar problem yesterday and ran into this thread. However none of the above mentioned "work-a-rounds" worked for us so we reported an issue to support this morning. 

The issue was replicated by support staff and they generated a new BUG for this incident which we are hoping is resolved soon. It has stopped us in our tracks and surprised it has not been reported by anyone else. 

BUG-000107479 - Open Data:Items shared with open data group are not there in open data site.