use the field from the python tool as buffer distance

09-15-2010 11:56 AM
SerenaMa
New Contributor
what I am trying to do is to have a python script tool to process one feature class and get output feature class, and then use one field as the buffer distance field, but I can not see the field from output feature class. ( see the not_worked.jpg)

If I use the system tool  it works fine. ( see the not_worked.jpg)

I wonder what should I do in the python script to make this work.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesHood
Occasional Contributor
If I understand correct:  your script-tool is supposed to create and populate a field that you will later buffer with?  You problem is that when you are creating the model, you want to select the buffer distance from field option,  but it is not showing up.  It appears blank because the tool has not run and the field does not yet exist in the dataset. 

You can create a dummy output or copy your data,  then run the model ( which runs the tool) to create the field.  The model will stop at the buffer tool because it can't go further without knowing which field you want to buffer from.  Hopefully then you can complete the  model and it will work fine for future iterations.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jmhauck4818

You can provide a set of rules that internal validation uses for updating the description of output datasets. These rules are contained in a Schema object.

Here is some documentation regarding how you can handle this. See the section "Updating the description of output data using the Schema object":

Customizing script tool behavior
0 Kudos