AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cut polygons without selection edit task for arcmap v10 sp3

Question asked by geonetadmin on Feb 16, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 by geonetadmin
Original User: bwragg

Hi all,

I've spent days now trying to get the "Cut polygons without selection" sample (
http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/Sample_Cut_polygons_without_selection_edit_task/000100000077000000/) to work with ArcMap v10 sp3 (ArcView). We need this extension so we can trace selected features without selecting the polygon we want to split. I know what your going to say..."just use the normal 'Cut polygon tools' with the new trace tool that doesn't require to select features' but we can't use this tool as we have really complex data and we have to trace long distances. As a result when we have tested the new 'trace without a selection' feature we end up accidentally tracing many small features. Hence we would like to get this old sample working.

I'm not a vb developer but with some help from a developer I've downloaded the vb.net solution and compiled it. I've run ESRIRegAsm, select Desktop and it succeeds in registering it. I've checked the dependancies with dependancy walker and its all good. I've checked the Components.exe program and I can see it registers itself under "ESRI Engine Edit Tasks" but not under "ESRI Edit Tasks" which is the spot you would put it in 9.3 and 9.2. When I run ArcMap I can't see the task 'Cut Polygon without selection' in the task list. I assume this is because its not added in the Components.exe under "ESRI Edit Tasks". If I manually try to add it throws an error saying 'Can't Load Library'.

So is there a way to get this sample to compile and install so that it runs as a task in the normal Editor toolbar in ArcMap? Or have I missed some readme that explains this sample is only available in the Engine?

Also is there a reason ESRI doens't compile this as a dll like they used to for previous versions?

Thanks,

bwragg

Attachments

Outcomes