4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 7:32 AM by ebowman-esristaff

GIS Tutorial 2 problem

geonetadmin
      Original User: cthompson

We are teaching with the GIS Tutorial 2 workbook.  Tutorial 5-5 involves a multiple ring buffer exercise.  This will not work in our lab.  It does work on my office and home computer. The only difference we can think of is that I am running XP while the labs are on Windows 7.  Is anyone else out there using this workbook in Windows 7 and has successfully run that exercise?

Carol Thompson
      Stephenville, Texas
        • Re: GIS Tutorial 2 problem
          geonetadmin
          Original User: cthompson

Never mind.  It's not an operating system problem.  Must be another program that is interfering.
            ebowman-esristaff
            Hi Carol,

Have you tried turning off the background geoprocessing in the geoprocessing options?  I get that every once in awhile on machines.  By turning it off, the geoprocessing will run in the fore ground and you will not be able to do anything until the process is done.  It's weird, but I had tools run after turning it off.

Eric
              geonetadmin
              Original User: RJD730

Eric...I was having save issue as Carol and tried your suggestion and it worked.  Can't really figure out why it would work but just glad it is.  Thanks!
                ebowman-esristaff
                Eric...I was having save issue as Carol and tried your suggestion and it worked.  Can't really figure out why it would work but just glad it is.  Thanks!

Thanks RJD.  Glad it worked out.  The why is that there is a background process running on your machine that runs nothing but the geoprocessing tasks.  Sometimes there's a hiccup in passing the request to it.  I liken it to the quarterback handing off to the running back. Sometimes there's a fumble.

Cheers!
                Eric