Publishing basemaps in map services

02-21-2014 05:00 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MCline19

I really need to be able to publish basemaps in my map services.  I am using ArcServer 10.1 and it says that basemap layers cannot be published directly to a map service. 

Is there any way to work around this?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

If you're talking about base maps from the Esri basemap gallery on ArcGIS Online, then the answer is 'no'.  Those map services are not meant to be re-published as part of your own service, also known as cascading services.  Esri does not recommend or support that practice, not to mention the appearance and performance of such a service would be terrible.  If you are using a web mapping application, consider adding an Esri basemap service separately by referencing its REST endpoint URL directly.
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III
Not sure how you're using your service, but you could create the service using a Mixed format which provides a transparent background to your service.  Then you can overlay it on ArcGIS Online using the basemaps there and save a map from there to use.
Jim_Gay
New Contributor III

I have the same issue as the original poster.  I work for a hospital and we have to keep all of our maps in house and we hope to do that with our ArcGIS server implementation.  I'm a newbie to the world of ArcGIS so I am sure there is something I am missing in regards to publishing basemaps in an environment such as mine?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jim, if you have your own source data for the basemap, you can always create your own basemaps.  What they were talking about above is basically "caching a cache", or capturing the ArcGIS Online basemaps for internal use.

If you need to be totally inside your firewall, you should look at installing Portal    

ArcGIS for Server | GIS Web Server Software | Web Map Server

I'm not sure if you have access to the esri basemaps that way, but you might be able to create your own from the esri data disks, depending o what detail you are using.  But being that you are working for a hospital, my guess is you will want more localized and more detailed data for your basemap.

Jim_Gay
New Contributor III

Rebecca, thanks for your response.  We have all of the ESRI data and maps purchased with our package so we have access to that dataset.  I should clarify exactly what I am trying to do here.

We are using QlikView to deliver our enterprise analytics to our organization and we are implementing a mapping extension that will use our internal ArcGIS server to publish maps to our application.  Normally this is done by pointing to the ArcGIS online server but for our purposes we must use our in house server.  KliqMaps is the extension we are using (for anyone that might be interested).

I like your idea of capturing the basemaps for internal use.  How would one go about that?  I will research that as well.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you want to create a set of your own basemaps and if you have access the the source data, you can create tiled/cached services with ArcGIS Server​. Users can use these as background in their maps, although not technically as basemaps.

If you want so that everyone that uses these as basemaps, in AGOL, or Portal possibly in your case, you can create a group for your base maps and choose that to be the default basemaps gallery.

(I was trying to show a snapshot of the AGOL admin page, but my iPad isn't cooperating this morning)

if creating web pages, for example using Portal or a custom JavaScript app using Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS​ and custom widgets Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List​  you can use your custom basemap (the cached services) by using the Enhanced Basemap Gallery Beta 1.1

As far as your specific programs QlikView and Klikmaps, I'm not familiar with those at all, so can't be of much help.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jim, this thread is similar to what I was saying above (but maybe much clearer)

https://community.esri.com/message/534415

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Jim,

The Basemaps are services provided by Esri. One can not publish a service within another service.

You can call your service as well as the basemap in your application (*Check the REST URL of the basemap).

You can also plan to work with Portal for ArcGIS, as suggested by Rebecca Strauch

Think Location
Jim_Gay
New Contributor III

Thanks again for all the good responses.  I'm finally getting back to this effort.

I was able to publish the streets and topo basemaps to our server using the cached tiles provided in the 2013 esri data and maps for server.  This works.  However, the scale do not give enough detail for what I am trying to do.  I'm very close to getting this just right but can't seem to get over the hump.

I'm guessing I cannot adjust the scale and extent of those tiled basemaps that come ready to go from ESRI?  I've tried but have yet to get that to work correctly.  The service definition is provided with the map tiles and the scales are set in that setup file.  Adjusting them seems to be problematic.

Basically I want to get the World Topo service that ArcGIS online has and create that same service on my server.  It seems like such a simple exercise but I continue to struggle.

This is the service I want to replicate:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=30e5fe3149c34df1ba922e6f5bbf808f

Any ideas?  We are using ArcGIS for Server 10.3 and Desktop 10.3.  At this point, we are not using the portal.