Creating multi-part lines by default

Jump to solution
05-28-2014 06:34 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: LukeHardy

My organisation has just upgraded to ArcGIS 10.0 from 9.2. In 9.2, lines created with multiple vertices were created as multipart lines by default. In 10.0, lines are divided into individual segments.

So, a line is created with multiple vertices, and each segment is created as a new feature.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34158[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34159[/ATTACH]

When selecting the line, you can only select a segment - to select the entire line at once, all of the features need to be merged. The nature of our maps makes selecting all segments using by area unfeasible.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34160[/ATTACH]

Is there any way to create new lines with multiple vertices as just one feature, without having to merge all of these disparate features when they are created?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: sean_jones

In ArcMap 10, two point lines are created when you sketch into a layer that has COGO fields.
You cant toggle this behavior but you can remove the cogo fields if you're not planning on doing any cogo work on this layer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: recurvata

I may be misunderstanding your question, and I'm at 10.2, not 10.0, but I don't see that behavior. If I draw a line with n number of vertices and then select it, the entire line is selected.
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
I agree with Greg, what you describe is not happening in 10.2.1 using the standard line construct tool.  Have you got some custom extension intercepting the edit and converting them into segments? Are you actually using the Line construct tool? I can get something equivalent to what you are describing if I use the construct 2-point line tool on the COGO toolbar.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: sean_jones

In ArcMap 10, two point lines are created when you sketch into a layer that has COGO fields.
You cant toggle this behavior but you can remove the cogo fields if you're not planning on doing any cogo work on this layer.
0 Kudos
LukeHardy
New Contributor II

This explains it. Following your post I've just tested in another line layer and you're right, it's only happening in layers with COGO fields. Unfortunately removing the cogo fields isn't an option, I'll just incorporate a merge hotkey for any situations where segmentation would be inconvenient.

Thanks for the replies, all.
0 Kudos