KMZ to shapefile - How to preserve pop up info

Jump to solution
10-16-2014 06:46 AM
MaddyBrumberg
New Contributor III

Hello All!

I am trying to convert information from a KMZ to a shapefile and whenever I do, I cant seem to get the pop up information to come through.  It is my impression that this information is supposed to come through when using ESRI's conversion tool.

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Maddy,

I see the same problem.   The kml is using "<extended data>" for popup information and the toolbox KML to layer tool, does not appear to be handling it.

You could try use ArcGIS Explorer desktop to share the KML as a layer package.  When shared from ArcGIS Explorer the extended data is included in the packaged geodatabase.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

You could use a Geoprocessing tool (ArcTool Box).  KML to Layer.   It creates a file geodatabase for the data source, and one of the fields in the attribute table witll be "Popupinfo"  It will contain the information that appears in the KML Balloon. 

You could Export to a Shapefile, (using ArcMap) but keep in mind the max string length is 254, so it would be quite common for the information to be truncated.

You didn't mention the software or conversion tool that you were using... ArcGIS 10.2.1 seems to work alright with basic KML samples I tried.

mark

0 Kudos
MaddyBrumberg
New Contributor III

Mark-

I am using the KML to Layer geoprocessing tool and am not getting information that I should be in the "PopupInfo" field.

I am using 10.2.2 version software.  I have tried running the tool with KMLs and with KMZs with no luck!

I have looked through all of the environments to see if I can change something there and haven't found anything.

Thanks!

Maddy

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Maddy,

You shouldn't have to change any settings, the default should work.   As an example I used this KMZ file.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5f56ca6970084ac18dc77d1238615960

Ran KML to Layer on it, and this was the result.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a93de0c32fc84b88ae2963a495813962

Can you reproduce the same?

Maybe there is something specific about the KML you are using?

Mark

0 Kudos
MaddyBrumberg
New Contributor III

Mark-

I am able to convert that one fine but am still unable to convert the ones I am working with.  I guess it may be the format that my KML is in.  I attached a point and line from the KML I am trying to convert.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Maddy,

I see the same problem.   The kml is using "<extended data>" for popup information and the toolbox KML to layer tool, does not appear to be handling it.

You could try use ArcGIS Explorer desktop to share the KML as a layer package.  When shared from ArcGIS Explorer the extended data is included in the packaged geodatabase.

Mark

0 Kudos
MaddyBrumberg
New Contributor III

Thanks Mark! It worked!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I know this is an "answered" thread but I have a similar KMZ (KML) file that has html-based pop up info. I tried the method above (sharing as a layer package in ArcGIS Explorer) but it did not preserve the fields in the pop up. It looks like there is no real way to grab this popup info when taken from a KML, is that right?

Here is a small screen shot (since I can't show sensitive data):

(this is ArcGIS Pro 1.2 and the "PopupInfo" is the info I need extracted...)

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

There is a route through from HTML popup information in KML via XHTML to normal attributes using the Data Interoperability extension, but you'll have to know (or decide) the field typing for each element.  If you can share a sample file I can provide a 10.4 tool, but you'll need Data Interoperability to use it.  If you have control over the KML source it is much better to generate KML with a schema object in it, which will retain data typing, but again you'll need Data Interoperability to work that way.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Bruce,

That makes sense. Bummer though, I do not have that extension and not sure that I want to get into the trial period of it either. It's good to know there is a potential solution out there.

0 Kudos