Riverside County Search Tool

11-13-2014 12:59 PM
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

These two add-ins are the set of search tools I created for Riverside County. If you download the County's data and reconnect the data sources these tools can search for various items.  The map contains the minimum search tool set up requirements.  Any other layers can be added to the map without affecting the tools as long as the search layer names are not changed.  I also have included a layer file to add to your existing maps as an alternative to using the Base map; however, in addition to the layer the Base map includes layout objects that work in conjunction with the tools to display a Title and scale bar that best match the tool search results.  Finally, there is an instruction guide for using the Search for Road Segment tool Word 2007 document attached.  The Add-Ins work for ArcGIS 10.6 or above.

If you want a version of the search tools for ArcGIS Pro versions 2.8.0 to 2.9.x you can download it from my Riverside County ArcGIS Pro Search Tool Add-In Blog.

How to Install the Search Tools

For users of my search tools who currently see my tools in ArcMap:  If you are currently using my search tools in ArcMap and you want to update them to the latest version, you just need to refresh the Add-Ins by doing the following:

1. Close ArcMap if it is open.
  2. Save the attached SearchFormsNew1.zip file to your desktop and double click it.
  3. Unzip the files and double click the SearchFormsNew1.esriAddIn file.
  4. Click the Install Add-in button at the bottom of the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog.
  5. Click the OK button on the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog that says the Installation succeeded.
  6. Save the attached SearchRoadSegment.esriAddIn.zip file to your desktop and double click it.
  7. Unzip the files and double click the SearchRoadSegment.esriAddIn file.
  8. Click the Install Add-in button at the bottom of the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog.
  9. Click the OK button on the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog that says the Installation succeeded.
  10. You should now be able to open ArcMap with a map containing the appropriate Search layers and use the tools.

For new users of my search tools or those with a new installation of ArcMap - To install the search tools for a new or fresh full installation do the following:

1. Close ArcMap if it is open.
  2. Save the attached SearchFormsNew1.esriAddIn.zip file to your desktop and double click it.
  3. Unzip the files and double click the esriAddIns.
  4. Click the Install Add-in button at the bottom of the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog.
  5. Click the OK button on the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog that says the Installation succeeded.
  6. Save the attached SearchRoadSegment.esriAddIn.zip file to your desktop and double click it.
  7. Unzip the files and double click the esriAddIns.
  8. Click the Install Add-in button at the bottom of the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog.
  9. Click the OK button on the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility dialog that says the Installation succeeded.
  10. Open ArcMap without loading a document.
  11. Expand the Customize menu on the main menu bar.
  12. Click Customize Mode in the drop down menu.
  13. Click the Commands tab in the Customize dialog window.
  14. Towards the top of the Categories list click the Add-In Controls Category.
  15. Click and Drag the Search Road Segments icon onto your main toolbar and drop it onto the toolbar.
  16. Scroll to the bottom of the Categories list and click the Transportation Category.
  17. Click and Drag the Launch Forms icon onto your main toolbar (probably next to the Identify tool) and drop it onto the toolbar.
  18. Close the Customize Dialog.
  19. Load a map that has the layers that have names beginning with the word “Search” in them.  The attached Search Layers.lyr file and BAse Search Tool Map.mxd area available for those who do not have access to the internal Riverside County Transportation and Land Management standard maps.
  20. Click the Launch Forms button or the Search Road Segments button on your toolbar and perform a search.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst on November 22, 2014, December 3, 2014, and December 8, 2014

Updated the SearchFormsNew.esriAddIn to include a Point Address search tool and modified the Base Search Tool Map.mxd to include a Search Address Points layer to support the tool.  Added a separate layer file as an alternative way to add the search capabilities to existing maps.  Indicated the version of ArcMap supported by the Add-Ins. 12/3 - Corrected dialog behavior for APN Address Search tool.  12/4 - Created a Search for Parcel Owner tool.  12/8 - Added Installation Instructions and usage instructions for the Search for Road Segment tool.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst Fixed a minor measure unit conversion bug on the interface,

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - January 28, 2016 5:33 P.M. PST - Updated the SearchRoadSegment.esriAddin Tool to work with ArcMap 10.3

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - August 23, 2016 9:54 A.M. PST - Updated the SearchFormsNew.esriAddin Tool to handle Address searches when the Owner1 fields are Null and altered the CaseReporter button to make the local path based on the user name.  The SearchFormsNew.esriAddIn may require ArcMap 10.3 now.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - August 25, 2016 7:15 A.M. PST - Updated the SearchRoadSegment.esriAddin Tool to fix bug in the Intersection Search tool that caused the Primary name to change when user selected and started typing over the Secondary Name, so that now the Secondary Name is edited as expected.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - January 10, 2018 11:40 AM PST - I attached a 10.5.1 version of the main search tools named SearchFormsNew1.zip.  If you have ArcMap 10.5.1 or higher installed, use the tools in the SearchFormsNew1.zip version instead of the tool in  SearchFormsNew.esriAdding.zip version.  The latest tool fixes bugs created as a result of RCIT changing the Parcel_Assessors feature class so that it stores Null values in text fields instead of "" values.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - January 11, 2018 08:55 AM PST - I replaced the SearchFormsNew1.zip file with a revised version that replaced the LMS Cases search with the PLUS Cases search.  The PLUS Cases search needs a layer called Search PLUS Cases that has data coming from the PLUS_ACTIVITIES feature class or a derivative subset feature class extracted from PLUS_ACTIVITIES with a field called CASE_ID.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - March 14, 2018 10:26 AM PST - I added the SearchRoadSegment1.zip file with a revised version that updates the Search Road Segment tool for ArcMap 10.5.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - July 2, 2018 11:28 AM PST - I updated the SearchFormsNew1.esriAddin.zip file with a revised version of the Search Plus Cases tool that allows case numbers to have up to 25 characters..

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - January 7, 2019 04:47 AM PST - I updated the SearchFormsNew1.esriAddin.zip file with a revised to work when searching for intersections with apostrophes in one or both of the street names.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - March 15, 2022 12:05 PM PST - I replaced the SearchRoadSegment1 zip file with the SearchRoadSegment1 (2).zip file to use current DFS path name for layer files.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - June 28, 2022 03:57 PM PST - I updated the SearchFormsNew1.esriAddin.zip file with a revised to work when searching for PARCELS_CREST as the Search_Parcels layer and the CREST_ASSESSEE table for property owners in the Search by Address and Search by Owner tools.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - September 20, 2022 04:45 PM PST - I updated Included a link to my blog for an ArcGIS Pro version of the Search Tools.

Message was edited by: Richard Fairhurst - May 16, 2023 11:15 AM PST - I corrected an error that prevented the search forms from appearing if the CREST_ASSESSEE table did not exist in the map, changed the GDB_PUB Server where the old server was referenced and compiled for ArcMap 10.8.

0 Replies