How do I add checkboxes to geoform on ArcGIS Server?

12-01-2014 08:27 AM
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

How do I add checkboxes to a geoform we have hosted on our ArcGIS Server?  The fields have a yes/no domain applied but I'm not sure if that is correct or not.  Is there specific code I need to add to the configuration files?  If so which ones?

Best,

Brandon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
BrandonKeinath1

Has anyone been able to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

Brandon,

I actually have the same question. More specifically, what I want is functionality similar to Google forms where you can ask a 'select all that apply' type question, check all possible responses, and then create a comma-delimited list (or other character of choice, such as a semi-colon [;]) that is stored in one field. It would also be great to include an 'Other' option also.

I realize that this is tough for the geodatabase to natively handle, and for this to actually happen data validation would likely need to occur within the GeoForm app itself since geodatabases don't exactly support this same functionality with attribute domains. But, I have a sneaking suspicion that it is very (and easily) possible, as long as you have a text field ready to receive a long string. I have been experimenting with other options, such a individual fields, but it isn't exactly working either.

I have found that ArcGIS Ideas is reporting that this functionality has been promoted (https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E00000005FypIAE) and the GItHub readme mentions the checkbox functionality for fields (geoform-template-js/README.md at master · Esri/geoform-template-js · GitHub), but there is no clear mention of it in any documentation or issues that I have found in either GitHub or AGOL.

If anyone else out there is able to give some clarity on this issue, I think many people would benefit. Thanks.

James

BrandonKeinath1

Hi James,

I like your notion of a "check all that apply" option.  I can see the difficulty on the database side but I think you're on the right track with multiple fields.  Since I posted this question I think one of our web developers figured it out and I just need to check in with him on how.

Can you elaborate on your issues with using the individual fields?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
DylanBaier
New Contributor

Hi,

The "check all that apply" option would be very helpful for what I am trying to do. Has anyone figured it out?

Thanks

0 Kudos
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I'm also hoping Esri would somehow incorporate the "Check all that apply" option onto their GeoForm.  In the meanwhile, I know that you can do "Check all that apply" in Survey123, which uses XLSForm. But I wouldn't recommend it if the survey is meant for the general population as the person needs to download Survey123 app in order to do the survey form.  

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/formappcomparision.htm 

Emily

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi emlee‌. Quick note to let you know that Survey123 for ArcGIS includes a web client for those who do not want to download the Survey123 field app. We also recently add support for Public Surveys so people can complete surveys from their web browser (or native app) without login in.

EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

This is great news, Ismael! Thank you!

0 Kudos
SmittySmith
New Contributor

Brandon,

You mention you may have figured out the Check all that apply issue.  Did you get it worked out?  I am working on a project where I want to you the geoform to allow users to enter in new data, but it requires some of the fields to have more then one entry.

Thanks,

Smitty

0 Kudos
BrandonKeinath1

Hi Smitty,

Unfortunately we never figured it out.  If you find a solution I would still be interested for future projects.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos