Making a Line Callout Listing Multiple Attributes (including an image)

12-04-2014 02:57 PM
JenniferRideout
New Contributor

I am making a map that shows the locations of road signs recorded during a recent survey.  I would like to label these points with a callout that lists several of the attributes (including a symbol for the type of sign).  I have only a basic skill level with ArcMap, so I am not even sure if this is something I can accomplish.  I have been searching for examples or tutorials for a couple of days now, so I thought I might fish for some advice here.

First, I'm not even sure what exactly I should be searching for -- does a label like this have a special name?? 

Also, is this something that can be accomplished just by using Maplex advanced labeling, or would this be way over the head of a beginner?

I am attaching two examples of what I am envisioning. Ideally, I would like to include 8 different attributes in the callout label: the sign symbol, coordinates, accompanying signs, condition, visibility, and date.  Being able to label my points in any way that is similar to these examples would be great!!

If anyone could offer any advice or direct me to an existing tutorial or discussion that explains how to make this kind of label, I would be eternally grateful!! [Please remember, I am still a beginner!!]

Thanks in advance!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Getting the tet in there is pretty simple.You can just construct a label expression that uses several fields in your table. For example, you would make a label something like this: "Plaque: " + [plaqueField] + '\n' + "Arrow: : + [ArrowField] + '\n' + "Condition: " + [ConditionField] and so on. The quote marks should surround any text strings you want to use, and then you use the plus symbol between the text strings and fields. The '\n' is used to make a line break. I'm not sure how you would get the symbol in there though. Maybe you could simply symbolyze your features this way, and then have the text in a label callout?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I was thinking. maybe it's possible to include the symbol if it can be found in text symbols.

0 Kudos