Public Notification tool - need to add functionality

12-10-2014 06:21 AM
Labels (1)
South_JordanCity_of
Occasional Contributor

Good morning everybody!

We have been using the Public Notification template for a while now within our city, and it worked really well to create mailing labels.

A few day ago, unfortunately, a new city ordinance demands for people that want to start a home occupation business to not only notify their neighbors within a 300 ft buffer, but also every resident within the subdivision where the home-occ will be located.

As of right now, I have absolutely no idea how to implement this added functionality (including parcels of the entire subdivision) with the existing code.

Any suggestions, help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Marc Seliger

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Hello Marc -

The Land Use Public Notification application has been recently updated to include this functionality!  If you use the Try-it-Now service you can experience this workflow.

Step 1 - search the application for "Schools"

Step 2 - Select a school district from the bottom of the search list

Step 3 - Use it for notification

In the config.js file, you'll want to updated this in the Application\PublicNotification\js folder for the application.

The following is the MXD that houses the schoold districts in the sample data, think of that layer as your "overlay layer", much like the subdivisions that you want to deploy.

AdministrativeAreas.mxd

An ArcGIS for Desktop map used to author the AdministrativeAreas map and service.

Please see the entire help documentation for more help.

Hope this helps!

Chris

South_JordanCity_of
Occasional Contributor

Chris,

thanks for your reply.

The problem is that i need the tool to get the addresses within in the 300 ft buffer AND from the entire subdivision the parcel is located in. So basically combine the buffer and subdivision parcel addresses in one label output.

The updated tool offers an either-or approach (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The way I have the tool configured now is that it filters out duplicate addresses and any parcels that are city-owned. I could run the new tool twice to get the buffer addresses and then again in order to get the subdivision addresses, but that would leave me with dozens of duplicates.

Any ideas?

Marc Seliger

0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Marc -

The application currently doesn't support "multiple-input-method" label generation.

In your case - where the parcel buffer may extend past the sub. boundary (which is common) entering a 300 ft. buffer into the sub boundary would notify too many property owners - but would most likely be better than notifying too few property owners.

Chris

0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Those using the Land Use Public Notification application - please note that the app has been updated to better handle Web Mercator by defaulting the buffer method to Geodesic. 

If you are using Web Mercator for this app, please update your source code.

Land Use Public Notification | ArcGIS for Local Government

0 Kudos