Point to Raster ==> Double to Long

12-24-2014 11:49 AM
TimDavis2
New Contributor

Whenever I use the Point to Raster tool for conversion of LiDAR topo data, it converts my value types from Double to Long thus "rounding" the numbers to integers. Can anyone explain why it is doing this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

According to the Help:

The input field type determines the type of output raster. If the field is integer, the output raster will be integer; if it is floating point, the output will be floating point.

Are you sure the field you assign during the conversion is a double field?

Another thing is that you may want to reconsider working with LiDAR data as points. It is better to use the LAS Dataset format and for conversion use the LAS Dataset to Raster tool.

isburns
New Contributor III

This behavior is still present in ArcGIS 10.4.1. When I run Point to Raster with the value field of the input set to a double field, the raster becomes an integer raster. When I run Point to Raster with the value field of the input set to a float field, the raster becomes a floating point raster. The expected behavior is that the output is a floating point raster when the value field of the input is a double field. If it wasn't so difficult for my agency to file a bug report, I would submit this. Anyone else care to?

0 Kudos