ArcGIS Pro Database Connection (rename issue)

Jump to solution
12-29-2014 01:11 PM
JohnReese1
New Contributor II

To preface, the platform is oracle and I have already updated my oracle client to 64-bit.

The connection works perfectly at first, but breaks when I attempt to modify the name of the connection. To do this, I am right-clicking the database connection and clicking rename. I assumed this would rename an alias, but instead, it breaks the connection. I need to modify the database connection name because we are using a multi-user SDE environment, and it gets confusing real fast if the only difference in the names is SDEname, SDEname(2), SDE name(3).

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What build number or update number are you running?

Complaints about not being able to rename database connections started surfacing 7 or so months ago in the beta community forums.  At the time, a bug was logged:  NIM101677 - Provide a way to rename database connections.  A few months ago, Esri developers stated that renaming connection files would "be supported in Prelease."  It appears either the functionality isn't supported yet or there are still some bugs to work out with it.  Either way, I encourage you to open an Esri Support case so they can fix what is wrong or know more customers really want this before final release.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What build number or update number are you running?

Complaints about not being able to rename database connections started surfacing 7 or so months ago in the beta community forums.  At the time, a bug was logged:  NIM101677 - Provide a way to rename database connections.  A few months ago, Esri developers stated that renaming connection files would "be supported in Prelease."  It appears either the functionality isn't supported yet or there are still some bugs to work out with it.  Either way, I encourage you to open an Esri Support case so they can fix what is wrong or know more customers really want this before final release.

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Yes, you are hitting that same Bug that Joshua mentioned. Seems that this has not been fixed yet and is still being worked upon by the Dev team.

JohnReese1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, Josh. I am using 1.0 Prerelease Update 2, Build 1692. Thank you for pointing out that it was a previously logged bug. I will go ahead and open an Esri Support case and share any pertinent information here, if I see fit.

0 Kudos
JohnReese1
New Contributor II

After opening an Esri Support Case, I was told this bug had been assigned (as Joshua mentioned) to Esri's development team. There is currently no listed workaround for this issue.

0 Kudos
DavidTriggs
New Contributor III

Hi John,

It depends on how you do it, the Project View or the Project Pane. It seems to fail in the Project View, but if you swithch to Pane which looks just like ArcCatalog, you can rename there and it appears that the project properties are retained.

0 Kudos
SusanLeonard
New Contributor

Still an issue with Pro 1.4

0 Kudos
deleted-user-ZTub55yWbsya
New Contributor II

I'm also experiencing this issue in Pro 1.4.1.

For example, I create a new database connection and it gets named  "GISServer".  After adding a second connection to this server "GISServer" (but a different database) and then renaming this second one as "AD.GISServer.Utility", it displays the name as "GISServer(2)".  If I click my cursor on the connection name to be able to edit the text it will display the modified connection name, but no matter what I type after clicking away it goes right back to "GISServer(2)".

deleted-user-ZTub55yWbsya
New Contributor II

UPDATE:   Very simple fix - press the Enter button on your keyboard to finish renaming a project item rather than clicking away and losing focus.  
ESRI already logged this as a bug to be addressed sometime after version 1.4.1.  
Bug: 000105265 - Unable to rename the database connections or folders in ArcGIS Pro

Haverlah_Daniel
New Contributor

Still having this issue many years later... You should be able to click away (or anywhere else) without the whole application crashing. I never had this issue in the old ArcCatalog. Now on version 2.9x and still ArcGIS Pro is full of bugs, much less responsive, and just overall sluggish in regard to performance.