Is it better to share "application" registered in AGOL between WAB-dev edition developers, or separate?

Jump to solution
01-13-2015 02:56 PM
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

In our enterprise ArcGIS Online site, we will have multiple developers that will be using Web Application developers addition. Since I was the first to install/use and register with ArcGIS Online, the "Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS" web-mapping-application was created under my "My Content", with my computer registered for the redirect (with help from the "correct" answer here: Re: Migration Migraine ).  All works for me.  I was also able to add a second machine that I work on, and that also works for me.

However, when I added the other developer's machine to the same application, it did not work for him).  I'm assuming that is because this application is not shared and of course, he has his own named-user account.

My questions:  Is it better to:

1) leave it in my "My Content" and share the application with the other user(s) or

2) have the other user(s) run thru the process to create their own in the My Content.

So, as a best practice, should everyone have their own?  Should we have one per Division/group and share with that group?  I don't think we will have that many developers, but their is the potential since there are multiple disciplines here.

BTW - in the current situation, both of us are AGOL administrators.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

For what it's worth, I haven't received any true authoritative answer to my specific question, but Robert's comments made sense and could apply to what I needed to test.   This prompted me to write my first blog Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed  if anyone is interested, but bottom line (clip from blog) regarding this topic

• A WAB folder (and startup.bat file) are pretty much linked to on AppID – although there are ways to shift or change which one.
  • Each user should have their own application/AppID created by them, in their own My Content
  • Multiple machines for one user can be registered to the same AppID, if desired. The WAB stores the applications being created in the local drive, so these are not necessarily shared between machines…although I think they could be setup to work that way.
  • One machine could be registered to more than on AppID, if desired and if multiple WAB startup folders exist.

And, if your install gets messed up because the appId wasn't available or it was messed up, there are fairly easy ways to fix the problem.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rebecca,

I would lean towards having the other developer register like you did. I plan to register each WAB app separately as I develop then. I don't have anything to backup my decision beside personal preference though.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Robert.  I was leaning towards that too, if for no other reason than each developer can manage their own environment.  I could see trying to administer registered dev machines for multiple users in one WAB app could be a nightmare, even more so for large development organizations or an education location.  Just didn't know if it would be a conflict.

Robert Scheitlin, GISP wrote:

...... I plan to register each WAB app separately as I develop then. ...

Can you elaborate a little more on that? ...

So, the first time you start up WAB-DE it asks for the appid,  If you wanted to register a different appid for WAB-DE, how would you do that?  Would you just copy the WAB  dev folder to a new location and use the startup.bat or is there a different location that this is stored that should be manually changed?  Maybe it doesn't store anything locally and is just to create the app on AGOL?  I know how to register addition url's with the app on AGOL, but I admit that I'm pretty fuzzy on what the initial registering of the dev environment actually does on my local machine. Obviously it must record the creds in a a config files since it remembers between session...or maybe it's just a case of manually creating another WAB app on AGOL...but if developing on just one local machine, how does it know which of these apps to go to?

I guess, other than the "registering" requirement with AGOL, I'm not 100% sure the purpose of the WAB app on AGOL. Maybe we are talking apples and oranges?? ...too many flavors of "apps" .

Thanks,  I always appreciate you taking your time to share your widget dev skills and knowledge with all.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rebecca,

I was referencing the need to register the Deployed App. You can choose to use an already registered AppID or you can create a new one (I prefer to add a new one for each deployed app).

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ok, so yes, a little apples vs. oranges still.  

I'll wait to see if anyone else has anything specifically on the "initial" registration.  So far our other developer hasn't had luck getting his version going with either method (added to my app, or creating his own) but we have other things we're trying in the meantime.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

For what it's worth, I haven't received any true authoritative answer to my specific question, but Robert's comments made sense and could apply to what I needed to test.   This prompted me to write my first blog Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed  if anyone is interested, but bottom line (clip from blog) regarding this topic

• A WAB folder (and startup.bat file) are pretty much linked to on AppID – although there are ways to shift or change which one.
  • Each user should have their own application/AppID created by them, in their own My Content
  • Multiple machines for one user can be registered to the same AppID, if desired. The WAB stores the applications being created in the local drive, so these are not necessarily shared between machines…although I think they could be setup to work that way.
  • One machine could be registered to more than on AppID, if desired and if multiple WAB startup folders exist.

And, if your install gets messed up because the appId wasn't available or it was messed up, there are fairly easy ways to fix the problem.

GrantHerbert
Occasional Contributor II

I assume that this involves a duplicate of the webappbuilder folder, entirely separate? Or can this be done by duplicating some part within the existing webappbuilder folder?

It looks like the registration information is stored in "\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\server\signininfo.json"

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would say yes, it is with a duplicate of the folder, since you put the AppID in when first starting up the WAB....at least to keep things clean.  But I suppose if you really wanted to switch between, you could mess around and change it, but I don't know the benefit of this. (What us it you are trying to do?)   I actually use many folders (machines and versions) with the same AppID....so if can go either way.

0 Kudos
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

Is it an acceptable workflow to register a single app with redirects to multiple developers workstations? It's my understanding that on the WAB startup, each workstation would see the same app on their list of content and could edit it. Although, I foresee issues with the one workstation having the custom config settings, and the other not...so, this probably doesn't actually work? What is the proper method for two workstations/developers to edit a single app?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Each user would have to have their own AppID related to their AGOL named user.  I know others have attempted to have a central shared location for the WAB folder with several developers, but I'm not sure if this process was ever successful.  I think the hang-up would still be that the AppID still needs to be registered.  Since I am the sole developer of the WAB I'm working on, I have not tested any of those scenarios.  I'd say, give it a try.  Just because something isn't "as designed" doesn't mean it cant be done.....but be aware that you still need to keep within the legal limits of the software (which again I think is the "named user" tie in) even if you can get it to work.