What does this date represent?

Jump to solution
01-21-2015 01:45 PM
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

Our potential Open Data customers wanted to know when data is updated not when it was "shared". I noticed this other date:

date.gif

What is this date referencing? I know it's not the date the data was updated because I do the updates and have not touched these since their inception.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielFenton1

Hi Venus,

This date represents when the underlying item was last updated in ArcGIS Online. We have future plans to change this to the date the underlying data was updated, but no timeline currently.

Daniel Fenton

Product Engineer | Open Data

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielFenton1

Hi Venus,

This date represents when the underlying item was last updated in ArcGIS Online. We have future plans to change this to the date the underlying data was updated, but no timeline currently.

Daniel Fenton

Product Engineer | Open Data

MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

I think the date the data was last updated would be far more useful to users.

Users are going to want to know when the data last changed, not when the configuration of the data layer was updated.

PhilLarkin1

Daniel Fenton wrote:

Any update to this issue?

Daniel FentonCourtney ClaessensTom Wayson

CourtneyClaessens

Hi Phil,

What that date represents will depend on your service:

* If the service is hosted on your own server and you have editor tracking turned on (Enabling and managing editor tracking—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ), that date should reflect the latest date on the editor tracking field.

* If the service is hosted on ArcGIS Online, we should date the last edited date from the hosted feature service.

* If the service is hosted on your own server and you do _not_ have editor tracking turned on, the date will reflect when the ArcGIS Online item itself (from an edited description, title, etc).

There is one bug we are currently working on related to hosted feature services, where sometimes they will show the wrong date.

Courtney

PhilLarkin
New Contributor III

Thanks Courtney