Data Driven Index

01-21-2015 06:55 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a data driven map at approx 150 pages, and each page shows a land parcel, and on each land parcel we can have several buildings.

So land parcels is a polygon with a SITE_ID

Buildings is point feature class with a BUILDING_ID and a SITE_ID which is a key between the two.

I have done a data driven booklet based on each site, and it shows the buildings within and their building ID.

I want to add to each page an index showing each of the buildings shown, and the building name (so people can identify at a glance each building).

My first question, is this possible?

My second question, is there a tutorial somewhere?

2015-01-22_13-55-34_Building & Site Location Map.mxd - ArcMap.jpg

Added image, yellow site is data driven site, and yellow dot with numbers are buildings with same site ID as data driven site Message was edited by: Ben Van Kesteren

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LisaTurner
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Ben,

I'm quite new to Arc, so I might not be the best person to answer this one, but I did just take one of the free training courses ESRI offers in their training catalog called "Using ArcMap in ArcGIS 10 Desktop" and it does touch slightly on how naming things within the pages can be done. It doesn't name points though, so it wouldn't be a perfect fit, but there might be something in there that helps you figure out how to do what you are trying to do as I think it is possible to do.

GabrielUpchurch1

Hi Ben,

I have fairly thorough knowledge of data driven pages and the help resources that are available but I need some clarification on what you are trying to accomplish.

1. What do you mean by an "index?"  Other than the index layer used to create data driven pages, I am not aware of another component (in ArcGIS terms) called an index.

2. What do you mean by "showing each of the buildings shown?"  In other words, how would you like the buildings to be shown?  Since they are already in the aerial and depicted with points, this statement is a little ambiguous.

If you could provide some more details of what you are envisioning, I will be happy to pass along any of the relevant possibilities I may be familiar with.

BenVan_Kesteren1

Hi Gabriel,

Sorry for the confusion, now I re-read my question I can see it is definitely flawed.

1. Index was the incorrect/misleading name, but I more mean a legend/table which lists all building names. So on the map it will show  a building number (the example screen shot has '92' & '93'), than in the bottom right/left of the page have a little table with something like:

"92. Toilet Block", new line

"93. Change Rooms"

2. I think I have answered this in my point 1 above. I simply want textual information displayed, as you correctly pointed out I already have the points shown on the map itself.

Cheers

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ben, it sounds like you're wanting to add a dynamic table to  your layout. You can follow the steps of the process in this blog: Create a Dynamic Table in your Map Layout | ArcGIS Blog

RandallBerry
New Contributor II

I created my first set of data driven pages for our inventory of Extremely Hazardous Substance locations and used dynamic labels for name, location, chemical name, pounds, threat zone radius and potential population that might be affected in a worst-case scenario. If your buildings are identified in your table I would think you link to it easily. I found formatting on the page to be challenging for long chemical names, for example. 

data driven page sample.JPG