trouble with build 2500

01-23-2015 12:08 AM
chriskalkreuth
New Contributor

Hi people, I've been using explorer desktop for years, seen the program change here and there. I've experienced glitches here and there but they were not usually tough to work through. I don't do anything crazy, add some layers, import gps data.  I am currently running build 2500/2505 on 4 different computers all very different configurations and all 4 are suddenly experiencing issues.  At first I thought they were all experiencing the same exact issue.  Closer investigation reveals different that all 4 installs are indeed having issues but the symptoms vary.  My ultra book, work computer and multimedia PC all have \the issue where I am suddenly missing the default base maps / layers, .A 4th computer is acting even more bizarrely and might require a separate thread.    It was working a few weeks ago but not anymore. I did some reading through the forums and this seems to be an issue not unique to me for this build.  I can't tell you exactly the sequence of what I did on the ultrabook initially, I didn't think this would be a long term issue initially.  But after uninstalling and reinstalling the latest build the default maps are not there.

I read in another post somewhere to check on arcgisconnectionbin.exe. As I go to check the status in the systm tray the icon vanishes.  Task manager investigation reveals that this program launches stays running for a few seconds closes and re appears.  This happens for as long as I keep the explorer desktop application open.  Manually adding the default basemaps as custom doe work but the cursor blinks every few seconds and something is clearly amis.  Does anyne have any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Where there any changes to the proxy recently?

Maybe something in this blog post might help:

Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap | Support Services Blog

0 Kudos
ErinBrimhall
Occasional Contributor II

If your issues seem to be related to ArcGISConnectionBin.exe repeatedly crashing and restarting, you may have some luck unchecking the "Automatically detect settings" option under "LAN Settings" in the "Connections" tab of your Internet Options (accessed via IE):

Capture.PNG

chriskalkreuth
New Contributor

The 4 machines in question use no proxy, just a basic internet connections but unchecking that did fix the repeated crashing / reloading. Thank you

I found in the forum how to manually load the basemaps, I am sure glad I only have to do this on 4 machines.  When is it likely that will get fixed?  My biggest problem right now is the windows 8 machine.  Any idea where I should start on that one..?  The last time I tried running ArcgisExplorer desktop the titlebar keeps flashing every few seconds and it wont allow any menu to stay open long enough to select anything when it does flash. It's like a window is trying to appear, focus gets stolen from the menu (not the program).

I will try the internet settings fix but there has to be more going on there.  I did a fresh install recently and only a few months ago this program trouble free. Are there any windows 8 bugs I should be looking into?  I ask because I am extremely new to windows 8

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if there are. I am running Explorer 2505 on Windows 8.1 without problems.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris,

You are experiencing two problems.  One is with the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe  You have successfully worked around the issues by un-checking "Automatically detect settings" as Erin Brimhall correctly suggests.  In some cases this does not work.  If this is the case for anyone else reading this, you can  rename the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe (located in Explorer (x86)\bin) to disable it.  ArcGIS Explorer Desktop will continue to work without the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe in play.

For the Second problem,  ArcGIS Explorer Desktop no longer showing Base Maps, Layers in the galleries or a default map when clicking new map.

nomapsingallery.png

this was due to an update to ArcGIS online, that changed how content is presented to users based on region. When not signed in IP Address is used to determine region.  To work around this there are a couple things that you can do.  One is to create your own base maps, as you have done.  All ArcGIS Explorer Desktop maps, default map and basemaps are available online and can be found here

http://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=owner:esri_arcgisexplorer

Another workaround is to Create an ArcGIS online account or use one that you have.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html    A public account will work fine for this workaround.

Sign in and then edit your your user profile (or set it when you create your account).

editprofile.png

Set your Region to World

regionworld.png

Then when using ArcGIS Explorer, Sign in using your ArcGIS online account.

explorersignin2.png

When you are signed in and your User Profile Region is set to "World"  ArcGIS Explorer Desktop will show the base maps.  Other non-USA regions may also show base maps, which would explain variations in how Explorer users experience this "missing base maps" issue.

Both of these issue will be addressed for the next ArcGIS Explorer Desktop update...

Mark

FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Mark,

Do you have any tentative release date for the next version of ArcGIS Explorer?

Thanks

Fasil

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

We believe we have the final issue to address for the 3400 release figured out today.  So, that means rebuild the setups, certify (test) and stage for release.  Barring any new must have issues, the release should be available in September.

FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Great! Thanks Mark!

0 Kudos