Anyone use the CMDM with Local Government templates?

02-10-2015 10:42 AM
Labels (1)
TracyArchibald
Occasional Contributor

Moving to the Canadian Municipal Data Model (CMDM) is a fairly big job and we want to ensure we'll be able to use all the templates that already exist for the LGIM.  I know they're fairly closely related, but I don't have the time to see how closely related.

So, anyone have feedback?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertThomson
Occasional Contributor II

I converted our data over to CMDM about two years back.  I must say I am pretty disappointed at the speed that ESRI Canada has been releasing templates for CMDM.

I cannot speak for many of the templates but we use the Water Utility Network Editing template and tools here and even though it does not work 100% it is awesome.  The attribute assistant does not work at all and some of the tools need parameter modifications to work properly.

Some things that bother me:

1.  Incredibly difficult to update versions.  The LGIM has a schema migration template but no such animal exists for CMDM.  It might be possible to modify but version updates shouldn't be so difficult.

2.  ArcGIS Pro does not yet work with geometric networks.  Apparently that m ay be coming in the next version, I am holding my breath for that one.

0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser1
Occasional Contributor

We found that both the CMDM and the LGIM really didn't work for us as a larger municipality. The format was too simple as our editor base is cross departmental and we had issues with security. We needed to lock things down and therefore needed to break out the attribute values into a larger number of tables/feature classes.

That being said we make use of Attribute Assistant extensively. We have done some code changes to work with some of our data (specifically small services), but generally we have been using it out of the box without any major issues. I think it is an amazing tool!

We have done some custom coding for items such as the Address Construction tools as the database structure used in the LGIM/CMDM for roads and addresses did not work for us.

We have also had to modify some of the templates such as the My Government Services in order to meet AODA guidelines.

Alison

0 Kudos