ArcGIS License Manager - 10.2 & 10.3 on same server?

Jump to solution
02-18-2015 07:31 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

We have a new Windows server for our ArcGIS License Manager 10.3 software install.  We also have some legacy ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 concurrent use licenses that are not eligible for upgrade to 10.3.  Can ArcGIS License Manager 10.2 software be installed on a server that already has ArcGIS License Manager 10.3 installed on it?

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

The 10.1-10.3 licenses are common. So, I think the ArcGIS 10.3 LM would recognize the 10.2 licenses to be valid. There should not be any issue in authorizing 10.2 licenses in ArcGIS 10.3 LM.

But you cannot install ArcGIS LM of two different versions in a single OS.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

The 10.1-10.3 licenses are common. So, I think the ArcGIS 10.3 LM would recognize the 10.2 licenses to be valid. There should not be any issue in authorizing 10.2 licenses in ArcGIS 10.3 LM.

But you cannot install ArcGIS LM of two different versions in a single OS.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

Jayanta:

Thank you for the response.  My 10.3 LM already has ArcInfo authorization codes assigned to it.  What I was wondering about was installing an earlier version of LM software (10.2) on the same server in order to user 10.2 authorization codes.  Your response answered my question.  LM 10.2 software CANNOT be installed on a server that already has LM 10.3 installed.

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Joe Flannery​,

I don't believe you can have two FlexNet services named the same on a server. And the ARCGIS FlexNet vendor component is hardcoded to be named ARCGIS. So two different versions can not routinely be run concurrently on the same FlexNet Publisher license manager, certainly not with the default flexnet port assignments. 

Additionally, since the vendor daemon name is fixed--the ArcGIS clients would poll them and link to the first port providing an ARCGIS response. So again two license pools would not peacefully coexist with defaults.

However, it might be possible to bind sets of both a LMGRD and an ARCGIS daemon to specific ports, and then to force the clients to connect to their appropriate pool.  I don't know for sure, it would have to be tested, and it would require a cumbersome level of tweaking port assignments for both Desktop clients and FlexNet license server.

Suffice to say that Esri does not want to support this mixed mode of FlexNet Publisher (nor does any vendor I'm aware of), so from  ArcGIS 10.0 forward, with implementation of  FlexNet Trusted Storage--they provide an easy mechanism in the ArcGIS License Manager  to deauthorize and return the prior permanent fulfillments from the "old" license servers.  As well a means to add those authorizations via fulfillment exchanges back to the new license pool.

Once returned, you should be able to self-help consolidate from the my.esri.com​ portal. But if the Esri accounts differ, you will need to  work with your CS rep to get them properly returned, consolidated, and reauthorized.

Stuart

DennisSmith
Esri Contributor

The License Server Manager are backward compatible with the different versions of ArcGIS Desktop software. Meaning that if you install License Manager 10.3 on your system, this will provide licensing for Desktop 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 versions granted licenses are available. The licenses will match the version of the Desktop client installed on the system.

Here is a link to the License Manager documentation:

License manager basics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

JackHurlbut
New Contributor II

The license manager does not have to be running on the same computer as the ArcGIS product.