Select by Location

Jump to solution
02-18-2015 08:24 AM
ChrisBridges2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I was needing some help on the select by location tool. We are a utility service and I have used polygon's to outline specific service areas of our utility within my map. What I am wanting to do is have a quick way to print a map that shows just one specific service area.  What I was thinking is that I could select a particular polygon (service area), using the select by location, it selects all the layers within that service area.  I then was going to export all the selected features out to a shape file for that service area (e.g, servicearea2south.shp). I would then have individual shape files of our service areas that I could print. If figured the shape file could be easily updated this way as service points are added or removed from each area.

My problem is, within each polygon several layers are selected when doing this.  I don't think I can export several layers out at the same time or to a single shapefile.  Anyone have any suggestions on how this would work or if there is a better way to do this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can filter features that match (or don't match) the data driven page index (your service areas) using a Page Definition Query. So, if you are on the map for service area 'A', it will hide the shape for all other service areas, and if you set it up, the points and lines attributed as belonging to that service area.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One route to accomplish this would be to use Map Book.  It provides a way to set up a map series for output.  You can find more information on this under the topics "Map Book" and "Data Driven Pages".

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
ChrisBridges2
New Contributor II

Chris,

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of doing a map book however I don't know if it will do exactly what I want for this. When we get contractors in and they are working on a specific service area, I want them to have a map that shows just the lines/points in that service area. The map book, I believe but could be wrong, will zoom to fit the polygon. However the polygon is not square (we have some really odd shaped areas) so when I zoom to see the service area, it will also show some parts of other service areas just due to the shapes of the service areas. I do use map books for other things in our system and they work great because the sections are square. I have a 3rd party program that does this well and clips/hides anything outside the selected polygons when printing, however it hides everything outside the selected polygon.  We use a layer that has road outlines/names etc.. that I do not want hidden/clipped on printing.

I was just thinking the shape file route would allow me to keep some layers showing the full extent (e.g, roads) and show just a particular service area.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can filter features that match (or don't match) the data driven page index (your service areas) using a Page Definition Query. So, if you are on the map for service area 'A', it will hide the shape for all other service areas, and if you set it up, the points and lines attributed as belonging to that service area.