Joins (ShapeFIle X Database)

02-23-2015 06:25 AM
klebervaz
New Contributor

Hi Gys,

I have a ShapeFile whith all information displayed on the map. I connected a database (Oracle) with non-spatial data to make some joints, I realized that in option (Join and Relates) can only make only a join shapefile with database.

How could these joins shapefile with data bank unreferenced?

That would be the best solution?

Attached

0 Kudos
11 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can join multiple tables to a featureclass, one join each step, but the fields will be visible in the attribute table of the featureclass. To make them permanent, you could export the featureclass to another featureclass.

BTW: the image does not really indicate what you are trying to join...

0 Kudos
klebervaz
New Contributor

Thank you for your attention

If you can give me an example of how to do my joins

I'm trying to join as shows the attached file.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

You will need a field that exists in both the input features class a in the tables you want to join. Assuming you have that you can:

• right click on the featureclass in the TOC, select Joins and Related, Join...

join1.png

In the dialog that follows:

• Select the field (1) in the featureclass you want to use for the join, select table (2) you want to join to join featureclass and select (3) the field in the table you want to use for the join

join2.png

Click OK.

Repeat this process for all the tables you want to join.

If you observed the properties of the feature layer you will see that there are multiple joins.

join3.png

Next use the export option to make the joins permanent:

• right click on the feature class in the TOC
  • Select Data, Export data
  • Specify the output location and name and click OK
  • A new feature class will be created with the tables joined to it.

join4.png

If you just want to retrieve the related information and not create a permanent output, you can consider using a relate instead.

klebervaz
New Contributor

When I try to execute the second query tool for responding, it can be a performance problem?

follows the image

Not responding

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Just a guess it might be that you are trying to join a large number of table records to your feature class;  sometimes  Not Responding is ArcGIS telling you "this is going to take a while"

Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to join and why a join is what you want to do. Or at least explain your final goal is with the data and this analysis..

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
klebervaz
New Contributor

Thank you for your help.

I need to join the data the database (Oracle) into a shapefile to show more accurate information in my map according to my SQL QUERY Labels

Example: Display number of patients per year.

This information only exists in the database (Oracle)

Follow the image:

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Could you please include the images you want to share, as image and not attach them as word documents?

To do this use the Insert Image button:

InsertImage01.png

In the popup, select the file (probably from your computer) and click on Insert image:

InsertImage02.png

That would make it a lot more efficient to read...

Thanks, Xander

0 Kudos
klebervaz
New Contributor

Sorry

QueryPerlabel.png

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

OK, so you have some geographic feature (might be hospital or a administrative unit) and you have joined the number of patients from Oracle to that geographic feature, right? Is the cardinality 1:1?

If this is the case you can just label the field that was joined, without the need to define a SQL Query. The SQL Query is used to be able to define a label class per group of features that match a certain condition (the SQL query).

Read more on this here: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos