Can you upload iPad pictures with the attachment editor?

Jump to solution
03-02-2015 02:11 PM
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

We want to be able to take pictures with our iPads and upload them to our databases as part of the the documentation for when using an editor. Can picture files be uploaded to from an iPad into a GIS database using the attachment editor?

Any examples? This would help greatly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Chris,

One approach is to add the photos as attachments to a feature service - using a process similar to the one Paul outlines on his blog.  Here's a sample that shows this in action.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24627279/report_graffiti/index.html

If you test out the code on your phone or ipad you should be able to either take a new pic or grab an existing one from the photo library. This photo is then added as an attachment to a feature layer.  I've also attached the source in case you are interested.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PaulCrickard
New Contributor III

Not sure about the JS API, but you can do it using JavaScript and the REST API. I have an example on my blog with code.

ESRI Attachments with ArcServer and Javascript | Architecture and Planning

KellyHutchins

Chris,

One approach is to add the photos as attachments to a feature service - using a process similar to the one Paul outlines on his blog.  Here's a sample that shows this in action.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24627279/report_graffiti/index.html

If you test out the code on your phone or ipad you should be able to either take a new pic or grab an existing one from the photo library. This photo is then added as an attachment to a feature layer.  I've also attached the source in case you are interested.

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

That's what I was looking for. One last question; can you make it so you can insert more than one picture or do you need additional fields in the feature service?

Always interested in source code. Thanks.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

The sample I  provided uses feature service attachments to store the photos. You can have more than one attachment associated with a feature. Details on enabling attachments in a feature service can be found here:

Enabling attachments—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

Awesome! I'm planning for when we move from DB2 to SQL Server. Looking forward to implementing this.

0 Kudos