Creating offline tiles (tpk) not working in ArcMap

03-09-2015 09:58 AM
BeateStollberg
New Contributor

Hi everybody,

we would like to include a local tile cache (tpk-file) into an iOS Runtime Demo App.

We tried to export such a tpk-file within ArcMap, using data from an ArcGIS.com TiledBaseMaps-Server

(http://tiledbasemaps.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer), as described here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=eaee8760ed754019a964a6d785613a50 . We only try to download a very small area (small city), so all use and access constraints are met.

Within ArcMap (we tried version 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1) we logged in with the credentials of an ArcGIS developer account and (during another attempt) with an organizational subscription account. Then we tried "File" -> "Share As" -> "Tile Package".

After "Analyzing" we get the error: "00005: Layer type is not supported".

In the help file it states that "Tiled map service layers" are supported as "Basemap layers" and that is exactly what we did.

Did anybody else try to download some tiles from the ArcGIS.com TiledBaseMaps-Server for offline use recently and did it work?

Cheers,

Beate

0 Kudos
26 Replies
JoséSantos
New Contributor

Same problem here, have you found a way to export a basemap for offline use?
I tried some of the basemaps marked for export and the same error occurs: "Layer type is not supported"

The strange this is that in the documentation available it says to use those basemaps for offline use.

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

I get the same error, but I think you have to use the basemaps that literally have (For Export) next to them. I went to Add Data > Add Data From ArcGIS Online... and searched "for export". Some maps appear and I clicked to add the World Imagery map, but nothing happens, no layer is loaded and no errors are reported. I had to sign into my account first, but no layer is loaded.

Has anyone gotten this to work yet?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LAOJimmy
New Contributor II

I tried 10 differents basemaps that have "For Export" on their title.

Everytime that I want to export to a .tpk file by doing File -> Shared As -> Tile Package, I get the same error "00005".

This is odd because it says that they were created for offline purpose.

Any solution ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Jimmy, were you able to load the 'for export' basemaps into ArcMap? I cannot even get the map to load and show in ArcMap. I have tried ArcMap 10.1 and 10.3. What version are you using?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LAOJimmy
New Contributor II

Yes, I load the same basemap as Beate.

I'm using ArcMap 10.3.

0 Kudos
YousefQuran
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Check the list of supported and unsupported layers from here. Then you may can make a conversion process ... 

Regards,

Yusuf

0 Kudos
GSauers
Occasional Contributor

Hello again, has anyone found a solution to this problem of not being able to create maps for offline use, even when using the maps that are labeled for offline use?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone find a solution for this? I am experiencing the same with http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=226d23f076da478bba4589e7eae95952 ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi All-

Creating a TPK from a cached tiled map service in ArcMap is not currently supported. There is an analyzer error put in place that will not let you create the TPK until you remove the map service from the basemap layer. However, we are planning to remove the analyzer at an upcoming release so that you can indeed export a map service as a TPK.

To clarify what these service that say "for export" are for... They are for using the Export Tile Cache task in the Runtime APIs. This task allows you to request an area of interest and levels of details, and the service will asynchronously send tiles to the device. If you look at the REST endpoint, they have an additional parameter called export tiles. Though it is a bit confusing, this does not mean that they are specially designed to be exportable from ArcMap- they can only be exported through the REST export tiles call.

Export Tiles: ArcGIS REST API .

Here is the bug report for the analyzer preventing exporting map service as TPKs, for whomever is interested -

BUG-000081937 - The Create Map Tile Package (Data Management) tool..

I hope this helps clarifies things.

Thanks,

Luke