We can’t create Graphics, Callouts, Map Annotations in ArcGIS Pro Maps?

03-09-2015 01:20 PM
Jean-GuyChauvin
Occasional Contributor

I’m currently exploring ArcGIS Pro’s capabilities and the first problem and probably the biggest problem I found about it so far is that it doesn’t support similar capabilities that ArcMap has such as to create map annotation group functionality such as graphics, callouts, layer-linked map annotation groups (e.g. from converting auto-labels to a map annotation group, and then allowing us to move and delete these map annotations where necessary in a position appropriate for that particular map, etc.), labels (by using the Label Tool), and all the other map annotation group Drawing tools that ArcMap has. Note that these drawing tools should be available in both the map as well as the layout because if you pan and/or zoom your map extents afterwards you have a huge problem to deal with. I’ve been using map annotation groups (with graphics, text, etc.) since ArcGIS 8.x (note: although it wasn’t map annotation groups back then, I was also using this functionality with ArcView 3.2), and I assure you that without this capability in ArcGIS Pro I’ll be sticking with ArcMap.

But if map annotations get reintroduced into ArcGIS Pro, I would suggest a few improvements to them while it’s in the development phase. For example the annotation groups should be in layers in the table of contents where its position in the TOC determines its display order. It goes without saying that these map annotation group layers should of course have properties such as reference scale, scale ranges, and the associated layer (if any) that it’s linked to. Also when copying and pasting annotation objects (i.e. graphics, text, etc.) from one map to another, the pasted objects should be exactly the same in every way as in the original location (no offsets like in ArcMap please!). In essence it should behave just like copying and pasting selected features from one feature class to another (there’s no offsets in the pasted result).

P.S. For those of you who want or need this functionality, I would suggest voting on the related ideas already posted on the ESRI Ideas website that refer to this request. Here are the links to the ones that are currently posted:

Graphics and free text in ArcGIS-Pro maps!

https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E0000000Cwdu&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D0...

Import and use ArcMap Annotation Groups when importing ArcMap documents into ArcGIS Pro

https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E0000000Cwbt&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D0...

Convert Map Annotations to Text in Pro

https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E0000000Cwed&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D0...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Jean-Guy,

ArcGIS Pro 1.0 is not a finished product rather is the first release of a new Desktop application.  At the 1.1 release (and future releases), there will be more functionality introduced into the application.  Annotation is coming as is a more robust mapping experience.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert LeClair

Esri-Denver

0 Kudos
Jean-GuyChauvin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert, that's encouraging. But will it have all the previous functionality that was in ArcMap and fix some of ArcMap's problems (e.g. cut and paste offset problem, annotation group display order problem)? I should also be able to import into ArcGIS Pro all of my ArcMap documents that also include annotation group objects such as graphics, callouts, and text -- at the moment I can't because ArcGIS Pro doesn't have anything equivalent to import into.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure as I'm not on the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team - I'm an Instructor (Desktop, SDE, Pro).  I certainly hope so though - would love to see it too!

AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

Full support of annotation creations and editing should be core functionality in any PROfessional mapping software.   I just spent a lot of time refining some maps and street labels in Pro.  I wanted to convert the labels to GDB annotations so I could edit them.  And then, BAM, ArcGIS Pro snafu.  It'd be different if I could export the layout to ArcMap or the streets layer to an ArcMap-readable layer file so I could convert the annotation there.  But I can't. I may have just lost some substantial time if I have to start over again in ArcMap.

When will annotation be fully supported, ESRI?  Seems to me that this should be a top priority.  

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

From what I'm hearing, ArcGIS Pro 1.4 will have full support of annotation.  Timeline is December/January release.