ArcGIS 10.3 & Python Add-Ins - Performance Problems

03-12-2015 03:24 AM
TrilliumLevine1
Occasional Contributor

Quick eustion:  I put together a Python Add-In consisting of a toolbar with menus, and inside the menus are buttons to add data to the open layout from our server.  This works well in 10.2 -- the data adds to the layout right away.  I'm now testing the same toolbar in 10.3, and it works, but the data takes forever (like more than a minute) to load into the layout following the button click.  I tried adding the data from the local machine drive thinking perhaps it was a server problem, but am seeing no difference in performance.  Anyone experience similar problems with Python Add-Ins in 10.3 and have a suggestion?  Any feedback is appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SusanJones
Occasional Contributor II

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

The ESRI Environment was upgraded last week and we are seeing similar performance issues as you are reporting. It is difficult to isolate if this is a network issue or an ESRI ArcGIS 10.3 Upgrade issue. It seems like too much of a coincident since the performance issues started at exactly this time.

We also had issues with arcpy and task scheduling issues in the server itself.

Performance in ESRI Clients across the board seems degraded - ArcGIS 10.3 Desktop, ESRI Maps for Office, The Map viewers and Portal.

0 Kudos
TrilliumLevine1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Susan,

I've been going back and forth with ESRI tech support to try and isolate the issue, but with no success so far.  I'm going to continue testing in the next few days and see what happens.  As soon as I get a definitive result, I'll post it here.

Trill

SusanJones

Hi Trill

Please, that would be awesome. Thank you.

Susan

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

10.3.1 was released late last week. You may want to see if the issue has been fixed there.

0 Kudos
TrilliumLevine1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Susan,

After an extended period of testing on this issue with tech support, we weren't able to isolate the issue.  We had to make a decision on a deadline regarding which version to upgrade to from 10.0, and we're going with 10.2.2 because of the unresolvable performance problems with 10.3.  We didn't complete all testing because of the deadline, but the most likely cause according to esri is a custom projection that we have on SDE feature classes...but I didn't have time to test that out.  Good luck, and please let me know if you figure out things on your end, it would still be good information to have.

Best,

Trill

SusanJones

Thanks Trill

The only thing that changed for us in the last 3 weeks is the different software versions.

ArcSDE has been working pretty much like clockwork for the last 18 months. Editing is still ok from ArcCatalog. Albeit it a little slow. But editing performance is severely impaired through the ArcGIS Web architecture.

I don't think our issues are driven from the database but more the middleware (ArcGIS Server_ security context.

The portal 10.3 upgrade is also (a lot) shabby in terms of client waiting.

Problems with ESRI Maps for Office as well. Slow to authenticate. Functionality is totally changed,

The best we can do is to keep an issues register,

Susan

0 Kudos
SusanJones

It seems that the trusted certificates were uninstalled after the upgrade from ArcGIS 10.2 to ArcGIS 10.3 and not reinstalled.

Instead they were replaced with the self signed SSL's.

Begs the question why they were ever tampered  with in the first place.

0 Kudos