Exporting or Importing to Geodatabase using Model Builder

09-15-2010 07:28 AM
JeganSomu
Occasional Contributor III
We all know that we can right click on any of the dataset or Featureclass in ArcCatalog to Export or Import it to desired Geodatabase.

My question is : Is there any tool to perform those operations in modelbuilder.

I need to import or export a feature dataset from one geodatabase to another using Model.

Thanks in Advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NelsonDe_Miranda
Occasional Contributor III
Hey jegans,

I've attached a model in this post to help aid you in the creation of this model.

In ArcGIS 10 you now have access to new tools called iterators. The following steps were used to building this model.

1) Open Model Builder
2) Insert > Iterators > Iterate Feature Classes
3) R-Click the iterator and make variable from parameter input workspace (This is where the user will enter the workspace they would like to copy to the new geodatabase)
4) Add a tool called "Feature Class to Feature Class" and connect it to the "Feature Class" output of the "Iterate feature classes"
5) R-Click "Feature Class to Feature Class" and Make Variable from Parameter "Output Workspace". (This is the new geodatbase where the feature classes will be replicated to.

I hope this helps

Keep in mind, if you are looking to convert raster or table you may need to use a different iterator.

Cheers,

Nelson
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I followed the steps but couldn’t figure out how to copy the features classes from the file geodatabase to feature dataset as per the screenshot below

Clip_3.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
PeterSchumacher
New Contributor II
Hi,

your Model works well, if i copy from filegeodatabse to filegeodatabase.

But if i use the "name" parameter from the iterator as Featureclass Name for die "feature Class to Feature class" tool,
and copy from ArcSDE to FGDB, the featureclasses name has the user in it, for example "SDE.LANDUSE",
bur this is not  a valid Featureclass Name in FGDB.

Any Idea how i can remove the Userpart from Featureclass name, or get the Featureclassname without user ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15571[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance

P. Schumacher
0 Kudos
AjuVattakunnel_raju
New Contributor
Hi Nelson,

The explanation you provided was useful for me too, thanks! I have a doubt regarding terrain creation using model builder. During manual creation(catalog>feature dataset,right click, >new and then defining details) we define many details including pyramids, but how can we do this in model builder? create terrain is just not sufficient i guess, please help me out..

Thanks,
AJU
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

How to import the feature class from file geodatabse into feature dataset in a new file geodatabase?

Clip_207.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos