Linked Symbology Between Data Frames

03-17-2015 09:53 AM
ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am using ArcGIS 10.3 (running advanced aka ArcInfo license) to create a map that has a small locator map at the bottom, so the file has two data frames in it. One of the features (a polygon) in the main data frame also appears in the locator map data frame. When I change the symbology or turn on labels in the feature in either frame, it also changes in the other frame. This is a problem because I need no labels and a smaller line weight for the feature outline in the locator map data frame.

I make maps with multiple data frames containing the same feature frequently and I've never encountered this issue before.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

(I've tried closing down the map and re-opening, but this did not help).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Elizabeth,

This is strange.  I've seen the ability to sync the multiple data frame extents, but not the symbology/labels.  Try the following:

1.  Right-click on one of the data frames > Copy

2.  Open a new map document > Edit > Paste

3.  Copy the other data frame into the new map document following the previous steps

Are you still able to reproduce the behavior?

ElizabethHigh
New Contributor III

Hey Jake,

Kind of in the same vein as what you suggested, I completely removed the feature from both data frames, then added them back into the same MXD from ArcCatalog. The problem did not occur again. Maybe some kind of glitch? Doesn't seem likely though since it remained a problem when I closed and re-opened the map.

I really appreciate you trying to help me.

Elizabeth

JustinPegg
New Contributor

This happened to me when I pasted the layer I was using for 'data driven pages' into another data frame. I just removed and re added them, & set up data driven pages in the main data frame again.

0 Kudos