basic viewer basemaps performance

Jump to solution
03-18-2015 05:16 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a reason why when I switch between basemaps using the basic viewer app that it is very very sluggish. And then when I zoom in with the aerial basemap it disappears. Is this a known issue? Is anybody else experiencing this? This makes the app very frustrating for our field guys to use. Is there anything i can try to improve this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Erik,

The problem with the base maps is that the template apps don't support switching to base maps with different spatial references. It looks like your street base map has a spatial reference of 102722 while the online base maps use Web Mercator (102100).

The ArcGIS Online map viewer has additional logic built in to handle this but the template apps do not.  We plan to support this in the future but currently there's not a planned date for when this behavior will be available.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
KellyHutchins

Are you using custom basemaps or the standard Online basemaps? Is the url to your viewer app public? If so can you provide a link so I can take a look?

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Kelly

So. Here is what I got going on. I created a base map group and made this my default base maps and checked "share esri default basemaps with this group" The only map I customized was a simple streets map of our county. I did this because the default esri basemaps LOD did not zoom in enough for our field guys to view multiple valves in an intersection. So by created this basemap of just our county streets and had that has the default I was able to zoom in as close as I wanted to. And since the web maps take the LOD of the default basemap I was able to switch to esri aerial basemap and still be able to zoom in real close when viewing application in Explorer for ArcGIS. Now that I am using the Basic viewer app and viewing it from Chrome it is really buggy as in disappearing when zoomed in takes for ever to switch from our default basemap to imagery or any basemap for that matter. The reason I took explorer out of the equation is one less sign in and app to have to navigate for our field guys. Unfortunately the app is not made public. However I created a test app for you to look at. It is just our basemap layers. This should give you an idea how buggy it is acting. Thanks for your help.

http://nwwsd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=351eb8599b6b4f2e945a18121c196324 

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Erik,

I tried to log-in but the web map prompted for credentials. Can you make it public?

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Sorry about that Kelly. Try it now

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

Erik,

The problem with the base maps is that the template apps don't support switching to base maps with different spatial references. It looks like your street base map has a spatial reference of 102722 while the online base maps use Web Mercator (102100).

The ArcGIS Online map viewer has additional logic built in to handle this but the template apps do not.  We plan to support this in the future but currently there's not a planned date for when this behavior will be available.

ErikBlake

Very good Kelly. I appreciate your time and help with this. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to get around this. Would it be possible to re-project my streets basemap to match online base maps?

again, Thanks for your help on this. This explains the weird behavior in a lot of my apps then.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

You can't re-project a tiled map service but you could create a second version of your service that is in the Web Mercator projection that you can use when working with multiple base maps.

The ArcGIS Server help has more info on publishing and caching services:

Approaches for publishing services with ArcGIS—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

ErikBlake

Kelly

So I created a new basemap with web mercator (auxiliary sphere) I am still having issues with performance. real slow to switch basemaps and aerials disappearing. My question is it because my other services in the application are not web mercator? Do i need to republish all services to web mercator?

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

No you shouldn't need to re-project. Do you have a web map id I can use to test?

0 Kudos